Your beardies with other pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Hey guys, I'm curious to know what other animals, if any, you all have taken into your homes. And how they react to your beardies and vice versa. So, between my boyfriend, myself, and my brother, we have 2 cats, a dog, 2 snakes, a leopard gecko, a golden skink, about 50 fish, and of course my bearded little girl, Cersei.
When we first brought Cersei home, the first time having her out of her tank, she saw into the enclosure of Apollo, our leopard gecko, and tried to leap at him. Took a little tumble she did. Lol.
We've never had two of the reptiles out at the same time, especially not the snakes, but Apollo does like to watch the others from the safety of his enclosure.
Then there's the cats. I saw in another thread a long time ago that people were basically painting cats out to be the devil and "do not let them anywhere near your beardie unless you want a dead dragon on your hands", but mine and my brother's cats are pretty chill. Obviously, I keep a keen eye on them when Cersei is out of her tank, but I'm not that worried at all. My brother's cat, Fröja, is still quite young and wants to play with the weird scaley thing that darts around on the floor, but when that scaley thing comes towards her, she backs off, quite scared. My cat, Bailey, is 16 years old and would rather sleep the day away than deal with it but the most he'll do is sniff Cersei's head and move on (caught a picture of that one day). I even trust him and Cersei alone on my bed while I clean out her tank( with the other cat locked out of the room of course).
Here's some pictures!
Cersei with Bailey
108046-1567473654.jpg
Cersei with Fröja
108046-2190424581.jpg
Bailey and Fröja
108046-9423128925.jpg
My boyfriend holding Belmont
108046-7038335530.jpg
Hard to see, but our rescue snake, Ragnor
108046-7422387111.jpg
And Apollo, being dramatic
108046-7836740194.jpg

I wanna see your guys' pictures and hear your stories too!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You have quite the collection of pets there :D

I only have dragons, 5 of them. And a 2 year old human. LOL

What kind of fish do you have?

-Brandon

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":6tsmj3zo said:
You have quite the collection of pets there :D

I only have dragons, 5 of them. And a 2 year old human. LOL

What kind of fish do you have?

-Brandon

5 dragons AND a human? Sounds like you got your hands full! Lol.
The fish are mostly my boyfriend's thing. I've never really found them that interesting. I know we have tetras, mollies, and a beta, along with some pleco, shrimp and snails for a cleanup crew. Those freaking mollies keep multiplying though so we're trying to sell some. Lol

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I have a service/therapy dog--Ol' Furface.

ZᴀRDᴏZ and Ol' Furface are aware of each other; they've been within 24" of each other with the plate glass door of ZᴀRDᴏZ' enclosure between them, but they have never "met"--nose to nose or otherwise.

I'm not concerned about Ol' Furface doing any harm. I'm more concerned about ZᴀRDᴏZ bolting and scurrying/hiding someplace I can't find/retrieve him.

I also can't think of any good reason why they ever should--or need to--meet.

Dragonz & Dogz iz weeerd. ?

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":16jpbd4u said:
I have a service/therapy dog--Ol' Furface.

ZᴀRDᴏZ and Ol' Furface are aware of each other; they've been within 24" of each other with the plate glass door of ZᴀRDᴏZ' enclosure between them, but they have never "met"--nose to nose or otherwise.

I'm not concerned about Ol' Furface doing any harm. I'm more concerned about ZᴀRDᴏZ bolting and scurrying/hiding someplace I can't find/retrieve him.

I also can't think of any good reason why they ever should--or need to--meet.

Dragonz & Dogz iz weeerd. ?

I love your dog's name. Lol
And yeah, there's really no need to introduce them. I just like letting my animals run free around the house (again, with supervision), so it helps to get them used to each other. At first I wouldnt let Cersei even climb down from my shoulder because I was terrified of what the cats- more specifically Fröja- would and could do to harm her.
There was one time I was sitting and watching tv with Cersei on my shoulder and I didn't even realize it but Fröja had jumped up on the bed and snuck around behind me. She did a kind of reach-around thing and bopped Cersei on the top of her head. Poor dragon jumped about a foot in the air she must not have seen the cat coming either. Since then though they've gotten used to each other and I can almost... almost take my eye off them when they're both out together.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I should have mentioned, if I were younger, healthier, and faster——— (Let me put it this way: If I were to enter Kwai Chang Caine's Shaolin monastery today, it would never be "time for me to leave" :laughhard: ), things might be different. :lol:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Please don't let your cats near the reptiles this is going to end very badly for the reptile (unless it's big enough to eat the cat).

It's only a matter of time and no cat can be trusted around any reptile.

That pointed out .

2 bearded dragons, 2 eastern bluetongue skinks, 2 eastern water skinks.
The bearded dragons and bluetongues get along fine when one of each are out for floor time. (Similar sized lizards).

My bluetongues and bearded dragons only get to meet the water skinks under very close supervision ( since the water skinks are potentially meal sized to them, but my observation is my water skinks regard the dragons as a good place to get a belly scratch, and have seem to the bluetongues are just other water skinks ( no fear shown of the larger lizards , more curiosity than anything).

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3juk1lfp said:
Please don't let your cats near the reptiles this is going to end very badly for the reptile (unless it's big enough to eat the cat).

If you read any of what I posted, you'd know the only cat I let be near the Beardie without me being right there practically on top of them, is my sr cat who is hardly interested in her. Even then, I dont leave the room when those two are out together.

Aside from that, that's a lot of skinks. My boyfriend and I have a golden skink and I hardly ever see the thing it's always burrowed somewhere in the bioactive viv we have for it. We've always kinda wanted a blue tongue though.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SarahGekkou":3342k6ia said:
kingofnobbys":3342k6ia said:

If you read any of what I posted, you'd know the only cat I let be near the Beardie without me being right there practically on top of them, is my sr cat who is hardly interested in her. Even then, I dont leave the room when those two are out together.

Aside from that, that's a lot of skinks. My boyfriend and I have a golden skink and I hardly ever see the thing it's always burrowed somewhere in the bioactive viv we have for it. We've always kinda wanted a blue tongue though.

My skinks are very friendly ( all but Gutzy my younger female water skink , who is standoffish but LOVES her crickets and is a great cricket killer and hunter , she doesn't hide from us but prefers not to be handled).
The bluetongues love snuggles and being handled. They also like burrowing through their bedding too.

Yep I read it and I've seen similar things before which end in tears when the cat suddenly attacks the reptile .

Cats and smaller animals ( including reptiles ) are a dangerous mix ( especially when the cat owner thinks their cat is "harmless" , and "sweet" , "too lazy" and too well fed..

Apex predator + pray animal , domestic cats are well known to attack other pets and will torture them to death , not because they are hungry , but simply because they are hardwired with this behavior and do it for "fun" .

APEX PREDATOR mixing with prey animals is all I need to say , the rest is common sense .

Better safe than sorry. If you must have reptiles and a cat, never let the cat in the room where the reptiles are housed and be obsessive about keeping the cat out of it, make the reptile tanks cat proof ( cats will break through wire mesh to get at a reptile ) , and when the reptile comes out the cat needs to excluded from the room ( never allow them to mix , it only takes an instant and one scratch or bite to end up with a dead reptile - very nasty pathogens on cat's fangs and craws that are near impossible to wipe out even with powerful broad spectrum antibiotics ==> death by system infection = blood poisoning).

WinFam01

Juvie Member
SarahGekkou":2csopice said:
Aww! Looks like my boyfriend's dog! What does he/she think of the dragon?

Not much.?
She's pretty disinterested, except for looking for bits of veggie we may have dropped near the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom