New Beardie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Hello everyone. To begin I would like to thank everyone on this webstite because so far I found most of the solutions for Tokyo's (that's his name) problems. Everything seems fine so far, we've only had him for 8 days. He is about 7.5", but Im not sure about his age. We feed him 5 times a day, in the morning we give him some veggies, then we give him around 8-15 crickets per feeding depending on how much he wants. He is in a 40 gallon tank with a 150w basking bulb, and a Zilla 18" 50uvb T8 UVB lamp. His temperatures are 108 on the basking spot and 88 on the cooler side. He is pretty active but also likes to lay around on his little log (which I disinfected). He has stress marks quite often, but there aren't any very loud noises or anything that should stress him out, other then recent relocation. If someone can tell me how to add pictures I could do that, as I said I'm new. Am I doing anything wrong?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
To add pictures, upload them with the User Image Uploader on the horizontal menu above, then copy/paste the Forum XIMG line into your post. It already has tags, so you don't need to add Img tags.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":3sl2nhtd said:
To add pictures, upload them with the User Image Uploader on the horizontal menu above, then copy/paste the Forum XIMG line into your post. It already has tags, so you don't need to add Img tags.
Thanks, Ill upload some pictures tomorrow because Tokyos asleep right now.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
zachburnav":2l0o5u5o said:
Thanks, Ill upload some pictures tomorrow because Tokyos asleep right now.
:?: :? :?: But this website is open 24/7 (except for occasional maint.)--never a cover charge! :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Make sure your T 8 UVB is approx 8-10 inches from basking decor piece- and I would look at getting a Reptisun 10.0 bulb the next time you change it out - the Zilla bulb is not the greatest but it will work - make sure you change it out in 6 months from when you put it in ---- I see the decor piece so just make sure the UVB is 8-10 inches away from that decor -- it sounds like hes got a healthy appetite -- are you dusting his bugs w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week --- and the last feeding is 2-3 hrs before lights out correct? He needs that time to start to digest his food
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Let's not say "wrong". There are places we all can use improvements/tweaking. :wink:

He's a nice looking dragon. :mrgreen: I like the hide too.
Sorry, I just figured out his name is Tokyo. :oops:

I would ditch the dial thermometer/hygrometer for digital w/ probe.
Ideally, the UVB should be over the basking spot, and to one side of the enclosure rather than centered side to side. I know it can be a challenge to get both UVB & basking bulbs over the same spot, but it can be done. Hint: Basking lights don't have to aim straight down--they can be tilted as long as the basking surface is warm enough (~105°F/40°C for a hatchling). :wink:

Is the plastic I'm seeing draped around the outside for insulation? Rigid insulation (white, blue, or pink) from a home improvement store (they're considered essential, so still open) works well, as does multiple layers of corrugated cardboard w/ the flutes alternated.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, I feed him about 3 hours before lights out and the plastic around the outside is for insulation, and it works pretty well actually. I dust his crickets and veggies with calcium powder and vitamin supplement. I'm not sure how well the stuff I dust his food with works, so can I have some recommendations for the powders and thermometer please?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You only need to dust the crickets since he is eating more of those -- you can get a digital thermometer and hygrometer at petco or petsmart -- the digital probe thermometer is about $6 or so
Karrie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I went to my local pet store but they didn't have the thermometer.
108150-2759033698.jpg
Should something like that work? Or do I need a infrared thermometer?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes that will work that has a probe correct?-- you can also get a infared heat gun as well you will use both- those can be bought at your local home improvement store $10-12
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":22s8d0vc said:
Yes that will work that has a probe correct?-- you can also get a infared heat gun as well you will use both- those can be bought at your local home improvement store $10-12
Karrie
I have looked and looked and the lowest price one I can find is at least $30. Is there a chain you have seen them for that low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom