Sex of Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
107813-93970770.jpg
Hi all! I have had Felix for over a month now, and he is doing great. I have everything up to par in his enclosure, and he is eating like a champ! It may be too early to tell, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to take a guess on his sex. I have said he since the beginning, and “he” may still stand based on what I’m seeing. Just wanted an outsider’s opinion! Thanks (side note: he is not upside down in the photo! he was curled around my finger and content)

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Whoa, that's a lot of stress marks for a beardie that's doing great!
Too much to determine sex accurately/reliably.

Do you have another picture when s/he's not so stressed?
Has Karrie (or anyone) gone over your enclosure stats & lighting?

laurahill749

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":1pu4va7e said:
Whoa, that's a lot of stress marks for a beardie that's doing great!
Too much to determine sex accurately/reliably.

Do you have another picture when s/he's not so stressed?
Has Karrie (or anyone) gone over your enclosure stats & lighting?

He is in a 40 gallon enclosure with a 100 watt basking light and the Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 24 inch lamp. He just started a pretty big shed that has been tough on him, but other than that he seems fine. His appetite has been great. Is it possible that those are not stress marks? It seems he always has them, and I am concerned now that you say that.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
That's what our baby looked like for a while also. We noticed it more when she got tired. Now that she's about 4-5 months they have lightened up a lot.

Can't help you with the sex as I am new, but wanted to reassure you that s/he may be just fine. :)

laurahill749

Original Poster
WinFam01":1sqaua26 said:
That's what our baby looked like for a while also. We noticed it more when she got tired. Now that she's about 4-5 months they have lightened up a lot.

Can't help you with the sex as I am new, but wanted to reassure you that s/he may be just fine. :)

Thank you so much! He seems to have had these marks since I brought him home, so I really appreciate your reply. He seems well otherwise, so that makes me feel at ease.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Could be his coloring- your uvb is it on top of screen or in the tank? If it's on top of screen basking decor should be 8-10 inches underneath the bulb--- he's too little at this time to figure out sex- but if you want to post back about when he's 6 months so he's bigger w/ a pic of his butt and tail in the air somebody should be able to sex him
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those are definitely stress marks, but it's not uncommon for babies to have them so prominent like that, especially when being handled.

You do need to arch the tail back though for us to determine sex, like in this pic
xsexing_female.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HTpF6p6EZB.jpg

Yours might be too small though.

-Brandon

laurahill749

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2rzoejpt said:
Could be his coloring- your uvb is it on top of screen or in the tank? If it's on top of screen basking decor should be 8-10 inches underneath the bulb--- he's too little at this time to figure out sex- but if you want to post back about when he's 6 months so he's bigger w/ a pic of his butt and tail in the air somebody should be able to sex him
Karrie

It is on top of the screen! Thank you so much for the advice.

laurahill749

Original Poster
Claudiusx":1mcw50f1 said:
Those are definitely stress marks, but it's not uncommon for babies to have them so prominent like that, especially when being handled.

You do need to arch the tail back though for us to determine sex, like in this pic
xsexing_female.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HTpF6p6EZB.jpg

Yours might be too small though.

-Brandon

Great, thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate everyone on here so much.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Even at your dragon's size it's often easy to sex them if you want to post a few pics with the tail arched.

laurahill749

Original Poster
AHBD":1o5fkdc1 said:
Even at your dragon's size it's often easy to sex them if you want to post a few pics with the tail arched.

Awesome! I'll try again and post it in this thread after he's done with his shed and a little less cranky. :)

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member

laurahill749

Original Poster
AHBD":55oooxgh said:
107813-2156995707.jpg
107813-7932282877.jpg

I’m not sure, it may be too early. Please let me know if you feel differently though! I’d love anyone’s opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom