"Basking" on the Wrong Side of the Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Lately Figment has been spending most of his time on the "cool" side of his tank (mid 70s to 80 degrees) where the light is a standard incandescent bulb. He'll occasionally go to his basking spot and sploot on the tile (where he's not getting the full benefit of the basking bulb or his UV tube), or climb his basking branch but hang out on the limbs that aren't in the zone of basking light, and I've noticed he's got light "stress marks" on his belly, though no blackbearding at all.

Basking light is a 100w, and the tile floor where he lays is 92.5degrees according to my temp gun.

Is it something I should be concerned about, or just trust him to know what his body needs, heatwise?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Very likely your temperatures are not being controlled properly, and it's too hot in the warm zone and at the designated basking spot.

Show us your tank, the thermometer ( in situ ) and tell us how you are measuring tank temperatures .

Guidence
Warm Zone about 35 degC.
Basking spot air temperature NOT MORE THAN 40 degC.
Bearded dragon POBT is about 36 degC.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here is Figment's tank. It's a 40BR (I know, I know, I need a larger one... saving up for a Zen habitat! He gets out for plenty of floor time.)

full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well he looks very good. :) He's a big boy + just sitting wherever he feels so that's totally normal, my guys do the same. Are you able to get him outside at all ?

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2tyavu69 said:
Very likely your temperatures are not being controlled properly, and it's too hot in the warm zone and at the designated basking spot.

Show us your tank, the thermometer ( in situ ) and tell us how you are measuring tank temperatures .

Guidence
Warm Zone about 35 degC.

Sorry, but what is POBT? I've got the probe in now, and will post pics later... I'm technically working right now, and shouldn't be on the forum. :oops:

I measured last night with my temp gun, shooting at the tile where he was resting, but am putting the probe in and leaving it there until it gets good and warm before checking the temp this morning.
I don't have a front-opening tank, so taking the temps with a temp gun is a bit challenging, as the access door to the inside of the tank is small for my arm. Hoping the probe will be a bit more telling.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2soghq3c said:
Well he looks very good. :) He's a big boy + just sitting wherever he feels so that's totally normal, my guys do the same. Are you able to get him outside at all ?

Thanks, I'd been meaning to have someone take a peek at him to make sure he's not underweight! Right now, the temps aren't high enough here in New England to get him out... but as soon as the temps reach Dragon Temp, he'll be outside every day! He has fun scampering around my study floor and exploring, though, so I know he's getting his exercise. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ComicBookMama":3dxyhlsq said:
kingofnobbys":3dxyhlsq said:

Guidence
Warm Zone about 35 degC.

Sorry, but what is POBT? I've got the probe in now, and will post pics later... I'm technically working right now, and shouldn't be on the forum. :oops:

I measured last night with my temp gun, shooting at the tile where he was resting, but am putting the probe in and leaving it there until it gets good and warm before checking the temp this morning.
I don't have a front-opening tank, so taking the temps with a temp gun is a bit challenging, as the access door to the inside of the tank is small for my arm. Hoping the probe will be a bit more telling.

"POBT" is Preferred Operating Body Temperature .
It's important.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The probe in the tank. I had to move the basking branch over, but I left the probe in for 30 minutes and it's reading 100.8 F.

EDIT: After about an hour, I checked back, and it read 97.5, which confused me. The only thing that changed was that I left the door to the room open...

full

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
If the ambient room temp dropped 2.5 degrees, it's likely the enclosure could have dropped 2.5 degrees.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'd say there's no problem whatsoever. He's regulating his body temp. as he feels the need as most beardies do. :) You can measure a few other areas though, put the probe on his log where he generally basks. And what type + size is the uvb ? Sorry I missed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom