Ultrasonic pest controller around dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Wondering if anyone has used the plug in pest controllers that emit a frequency that makes pests leave? It's that time of year when the flying and crawling critters come out and was considering buying some but didn't know if it would have an adverse effect on my Petey. ?
Thanks!
-Dee

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I don't know for sure but, was wondering the same thing. I live in the middle of a 100 acre field and, the mice are going nuts again. I set traps out the other night and caught 15 in 40 minutes. It slowed them down a little (no longer enough players left for their nightly miniature football games) so I let them regroup to have another go at them later.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Gormagon":30hv010a said:
I don't know for sure but, was wondering the same thing. I live in the middle of a 100 acre field and, the mice are going nuts again. I set traps out the other night and caught 15 in 40 minutes. It slowed them down a little (no longer enough players left for their nightly miniature football games) so I let them regroup to have another go at them later.
Lol! I used to live in a similar place, had 3 cats and a dog that used to catch them. Especially when they harvested the fields! ? Soybeans I think.
I live on about a 2 acre pond. Have issues with spiders, ants, fleas, wasps, occassional roaches. And all sorts of creepy crawlies. ? I've found conflicting reports as far as reptiles go, being affected by the pest 'repeller' . But it seems the waves can't go thru walls or other solid objects. I'm thinking putting a couple on my sun porch because it's not "tight'. Small cracks and stuff where they can get in. ?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":27orb2rh said:
Wondering if anyone has used the plug in pest controllers that emit a frequency that makes pests leave? It's that time of year when the flying and crawling critters come out and was considering buying some but didn't know if it would have an adverse effect on my Petey. ?
Thanks!
-Dee
IMO/E, it's a moot point. Personally, I wouldn't waste any more :oops: money on those things--IME, they don't work.

But don't take my word for it....

Sean Woods, owner of mousetrapmonday.com--and a similarly titled YT channel--has been testing these contraptions for a couple of years (at least). AFAIK, he hasn't seen/found/tested one yet that works.

Proof That Ultrasonic Pest Repellers Are A Scam: Class Action Lawsuit For Fraud. Mousetrap Monday.

Ultrasonic Pest Repellers: Solution or Scam?
Ultrasonic pest repellers are electronic devices that emit high-frequency sounds designed to repel, injure or kill household pests, such as rodents and insects. Whether they're actually effective at doing so has been disputed by testing labs and the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
Ultrasonic Bedbug Devices Debunked as Useless

See Also: debunking ultrasonic pest repellers

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
IMO, if the bugs already could stand being in the house with all our bickering and complaining, they can survive some white noise LOL :mrgreen:

The only thing I've found that keeps bugs (mainly ants and spiders is what I deal with here) is spraying this cheap perimeter defense spray that I picked up 3 years ago for 15 bucks. I spray the bottom inch all around the outside of my house, paying more attention to the areas where I see the ants making their way in. I only need to do this twice a year and once I do, no more ants make it in, so I assume no more spiders do either.

What type of bugs are you trying to keep out specifically? Or is there just a smorgasbord of them.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Claudiusx":1j3sf612 said:
The only thing I've found that keeps bugs (mainly ants and spiders is what I deal with here) is spraying this cheap perimeter defense spray that I picked up 3 years ago for 15 bucks.
I have something similar; it's called Comet Cleanser. Most insects/spiders won't cross it--it messes up their pheromone trails--and if they do, tracking it back to the nest poisons any that make contact.

It's obviously not pet-safe, so we generally use it on window sills under where the window is when it's closed. Our pets don't go there.

For other areas/pests, try: natural pest repellents (using common sense for pets). :wink:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well DANG. ? Was hoping they worked. If they did as claimed, would keep the crawlies from getting on the sun porch or in the house.
I was looking for something that would just keep them away as opposed to poisoning. BUT ya do whatcha gotta do. ?
I have mostly spiders and/or ants. ? Last year I used a sevin dust product around my door frames and emptied all my pantry cabinets, sprinkled around all the edges where side meets bottom, etc and then brushed it into all the cracks. I washed everything but it was still in the cracks. Had a major ant infestation last year. Haven't seen one in the house since. Did the same thing with all my lower door frames. Get into the cracks then wash away the excess. I'll prob start there.?
I have Frontline drops coming for the cats. Just put new flea collars on them. One of the windows on the sun porch is where stray cats can go nose to nose with mine thru the screen. ? Now mine have fleas! ? Haven't bought a flea product for my cats for over 12 years, they don't go outside. But the kittens (born under my front porch) want to socialize with my cats inside. ? Will end up putting drops on them as a prevention but it won't be Frontline! Lol! Too expensive. ?
Thanks for the feedback y'all!
-Dee

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
For the creepy crawler thingies you can use diatometric earth a powder used in diatom filters for aquariums and fire extinguishers. It is not harmful to anything other than segmented creatures like arachnids and insects. It gets in their joints and breaks them apart, killing them.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Gormagon":1rzy0if5 said:
For the creepy crawler thingies you can use diatometric earth a powder used in diatom filters for aquariums and fire extinguishers. It is not harmful to anything other than segmented creatures like arachnids and insects. It gets in their joints and breaks them apart, killing them.

It is a bad inhalation hazard though because of how fine the dust is. Used to have to work with it at work.

-Brandon

CarolynKing

I think these microwaves can't scare your pet. They're too weak for him. To tell the truth, they can't even really scare off rodents, because they are no longer afraid of anything, they have become very arrogant. When I got bats in my garage, I also tried many ways to chase them away, even microwaves. Of course, nothing helped. Then, on the advice of friends, I turned to professionals who are engaged in the removal of bats and not only. They made sure they didn't show up again while they were gone.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CHOICE regularly test these gismos, never find any that even annoy the target insects or rodents.

Don't waste your money.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
I can say the rodent ones are absolutely garbage. My girlfriend's house had a bad rodent infestation due to near by construction and these things did nothing but drive money out of my wallet yet the rodents remained. I highly doubt the insect ones are any more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom