Where do I find a rehomed beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not buying one from a pet store because most of them get their beardies from mass breeders and I don't support many of their business practices, but I'm also not buying from an online breeder because it is VERY hot out right now and I don't want it to die during shipping (also some people don't know how to safely package an animal). I figured that, given the recent events, some people might not be able to keep their dragons anymore, so I'd find one in need of a home. How do I find one locally available to rehome? I don't want to use craigslist since it's full of scammers, and I don't like using facebook.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Try the rescue centers other than that maybe some of your petshops mom and pop stores that people have abandoned them --- other than that the only places I know are craigslist and FB -- there are many there that need new homes being neglected - FB has a MN Reptile Discussion Board that people rehome their dragons on there ---
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
TakoNigiri":btpfv3kc said:
I'm not buying one from a pet store because most of them get their beardies from mass breeders and I don't support many of their business practices,
????? (I'm all thumbs :lol: )

but I'm also not buying from an online breeder because it is VERY hot out right now and I don't want it to die during shipping (also some people don't know how to safely package an animal).
I don't know if that's a concern or not. It doesn't make sense to me that a reputable breeder would not know how to safely package/ship an animal, and many of them nowadays use professional reptile shippers (I don't know exactly how that works, but they are a thing.)

Aside from that, BDs are arid/desert dwellers, so they're designed/built to withstand extremes of heat better than cold.

OK, all that said... I'd start by goggling: reptile rescue [your area/location]
I'd also contact your local humane society (and/or other animal/pet rescues). While they may not work with reptiles directly, they're in the same kind of business, so may have contacts for you. Same with local pet stores. If there are herp societies or reptile shows near you, contact them. It can't hurt to ask. Lastly, ask breeders you approve of/have vetted. If they don't have any rescues/"used dragons" :roll: themselves, they may know of rescues or fosters. It's goodwill, and hence good business.

HTH

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
TakoNigiri":ptxv14te said:
I don't want to use craigslist since it's full of scammers, and I don't like using facebook.
Well that pretty much cuts out 2 of your 3 options. Craigslist, Facebook, or a shelter.

I'd would go with craigslist personally if you're looking to rehome/rescue a dragon. You have the best shot of finding something there.

You could still buy from a reputable dealer, but most won't (And you shouldn't) ship a dragon if it's going to be over 85-90 degrees or so anywhere on the journey. It's overnight air, but still, 6 hours in the back of a fedex truck on a 90 degree day can kill a dragon. Those trucks get hot. If you go that route, definitely go with an experienced breeder who has been around awhile and knows when and when not to ship a dragon.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Claudiusx":3an0gz7j said:
You could still buy from a reputable dealer, but most won't (And you shouldn't) ship a dragon if it's going to be over 85-90 degrees or so anywhere on the journey.
Just a question for clarification... Since enclosure hot sides are often/generally ~90F, and basking temps (which many dragons spend many hours in) can run hotter, why the lowball? :?

Also, average daily temps in the outback can run up to 100F in some months, meaning they can run hotter on occasion.

I acknowledge the back of a delivery truck can run hotter (if they have any AC at all, it's usually just for the driver), but I would think as long as the back of the truck doesn't go over 100F, it should be OK.

Or are you talking about the ambient/outdoor temp?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Most breeders won't ship when weather is around (or close to) 90 mainly because if the outside temp is that hot, the delivery truck is typically significantly hotter. Pair that with horrible airflow, and the dragon can quickly overheat.

I might have came in a bit on the low end originally, as you can add cool packs to the shipment. And cool packs are actually recommended if the weather anywhere along the trip will be 85 or higher. But, most suggest not shipping at all if over 95. And, they recommend it not even be put on a delivery truck, but to be kept at a staffed fedex location.

https://www.reptiles2you.com/Shipping-Guidelines.aspx
https://shipyourreptiles.com/en/get-help/get-help-shipping-standards#question-275

Those are the two main players in reptile shipping.

Just like a car on a hot day, those fedex trucks can get much much hotter than the outside ambient, which is why they shouldn't be shipped even though outside temp is near their natural temps.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I also think that Craigslist is fine if you get enough pics + info. Some people genuinely just get tired of a pet or may not have the funds for the bugs or have other situations going on during this time.

As for for shipping, beardies will tolerate cool [ 50-60F ] for a few hours much better than too hot. In the wild they would seek cooler areas once they reach a certain temp. but would not have that option on a hot truck. But like was mentioned, experienced breeders know how to ship in all weather.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
I got mine from my local retile store which takes in rescues for rehoming. See if your local shop does the same. Also local shelters/rescues usually take in all sorts of animals. Give them a call or go down there (if no appointment is needed). Good luck finding your new friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom