Car Traveling with Baby Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!
I have a 3 month old baby beardie, Bee and a 12 hour car trip coming up back to my parents house in a few days. I’m making the trek in one day, but am nervous on how to prepare her. She’s still pretty small and gets nervous outside her viv in general or I would keep her in my lap the whole trip. I’m taking her whole set up along with me as I’m staying at the parents house for about a month and a half. I have a large box that my roller derby skates came in that I have padded with a towel, paper towels, and soon some newspapers. I also have poked plenty of holes on the top and one side of the box for ventilation. I am planning on getting basic hand warmers to put on one side of the box under the towels for heat. Is this proper preparation? Do I check on her every hour? Every two? Regarding food, do I give her a larger meal the day before? And lights, if she’s in the box all day without her normal lights, when I arrive at my destination and have the tank and lights all set up to I leave them on for awhile even though by that time it’s coming around to when she usually goes to bed? Help! Any tips, suggestions, or guidance would greatly be appreciated! Thank you!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Not safe for your parents for you come home at this time ( you are risking bringing covid19 home and infecting them , and infecting everyone you have contact with along the way when you stop for meals, to use toilet, top up tank, stay in motels).
Everytime you meat anyone and exchange money, use facilities, buy food, drink, even come within 3m of anyone (you don't know) you are also risking exposure to someone who is infectious with covid19.

Do you want to risk your parents' lives if you infect them with covid19 ?

I hope you plan on quarantining away from them for at least 2 weeks ( 4 weeks would be better ). Would you want to be responsible for infecting them with covid19 and one or both of them dying as a result ? - this is a REAL RISK , not an imaginary one .

Travelling with the little dragon is not an issue, the real issue is travelling back to your parents' home for a holiday when there is a virulent and deadly viral pandemic at large in your country , ( just saw on the news , just shy of 28,000 new "reported" covid19 infections in USA in last 24 hrs ( very likely means more like 100,000 new infections in same period ( lots wont realise they have it or will refuse to see a doctor or go to hospital or to a clinic to be tested ) .TIME FOR you to get a WAKE UP CALL) .
This is not a very wise thing to do. Have you not been watching the news and staying up to date with the pandemic.
I'm very surprised such a long road trip is even allowed at this time in your country. VERY DANGEROUS.

So dangerous that here in Australia , no one is allowed to cross the Western Australian, Victorian, South Australian, Tasmanian or Queensland Borders unless they are involved in moving freight, mail, or emergency services on the job, travelling to go home or visit is not considered a good enough reason to breach the state border quarantine blockades enforced by the cops and army.
I'm surprised similar border quarantine blockades aren't in force in the USA.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They are from what I understand anyone crossing state lines haft to self quarantine for 2 weeks when returning home
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Your dragon will be perfectly fine in for the car ride. If it's night time when you get there, i'd just let her sleep for the night unless you get there early enough for 2 hours or so of lighting. Otherwise, don't worry about it :)

-Brandon

laneyeldridge

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":364sdq6d said:
Not safe for your parents for you come home at this time ( you are risking bringing covid19 home and infecting them , and infecting everyone you have contact with along the way when you stop for meals, to use toilet, top up tank, stay in motels).
Everytime you meat anyone and exchange money, use facilities, buy food, drink, even come within 3m of anyone (you don't know) you are also risking exposure to someone who is infectious with covid19.

Do you want to risk your parents' lives if you infect them with covid19 ?

I hope you plan on quarantining away from them for at least 2 weeks ( 4 weeks would be better ). Would you want to be responsible for infecting them with covid19 and one or both of them dying as a result ? - this is a REAL RISK , not an imaginary one .

Travelling with the little dragon is not an issue, the real issue is travelling back to your parents' home for a holiday when there is a virulent and deadly viral pandemic at large in your country , ( just saw on the news , just shy of 28,000 new "reported" covid19 infections in USA in last 24 hrs ( very likely means more like 100,000 new infections in same period ( lots wont realise they have it or will refuse to see a doctor or go to hospital or to a clinic to be tested ) .TIME FOR you to get a WAKE UP CALL) .
This is not a very wise thing to do. Have you not been watching the news and staying up to date with the pandemic.
I'm very surprised such a long road trip is even allowed at this time in your country. VERY DANGEROUS.

So dangerous that here in Australia , no one is allowed to cross the Western Australian, Victorian, South Australian, Tasmanian or Queensland Borders unless they are involved in moving freight, mail, or emergency services on the job, travelling to go home or visit is not considered a good enough reason to breach the state border quarantine blockades enforced by the cops and army.

I appreciate the concern and I am fully aware what is happening. I have been in quarantine for 45 days now and have been responsibly social distancing for more than 20 days. My parents have also been performing the same actions. If you must know, I am not going home for vacation or visiting, but my mental health during this time has been unstable and I have chronic depression. My father is driving to me and taking me home. Again, we will be taking every precaution we can given the circumstances.

On another note, and covid19 aside, I am really looking for help while traveling with my bearded dragon. Thanks

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":27zjo7v8 said:
This is The Land of the Free, and The Home of the Brave. So it says in our National Anthem. ?

This country has fought a Revolution, a Civil War, and more over States Rights, borders, freedom to travel (and to be stupid), tyranny, and more. While we are 50 States under One Flag, in some ways, we are also like 50 countries under one flag. The Rights of the States are--in some ways--stronger than the Federal Government, and supersede them. The Tenth Amendment of Our Constitution reads:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
So for better or worse, it's not an easy thing to just declare and/or enforce quarantine blockades between States here.

You can find the background, history, and full text of our Constitution and its Amendments here and elsewhere on the internet. :wink:

This has nothing to do with whether any of us agree or disagree with you. It has to do with the way things are, who we are, and how & why we got where we are.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
laneyeldridge":pmar8n5i said:
I am really looking for help while traveling with my bearded dragon.
That's fine. As long as the average temps in the car are comfortable for you, they should be comfortable enough for your dragon.

If you put him in a box just large enough for him to move around slightly, line it with paper towel, and provide a little ventilation, he'll be fine. You can check on him periodically if you want to, but it shouldn't be necessary (and may disturb his sleep!) :lol: As the breeder I got my dragon from told me, "If it's dark, he'll just go to sleep until you get where you're going," even if it's several hours. He'll also be fine without any additional/special feeding.

Have a safe trip. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom