New Dragon Owner Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICEK4

We just got our son a bearded dragon as a present for his 11th birthday. The dragon is 3 months old. We have had him in his enclosure for 3 days. The enclosure is a 40 gallon all glass enclosure. I have noticed that he seems to react a lot to his reflection in the glass and scare himself or go after himself and almost act like he's on a treadmill but walking against the wall. He also just tends to put his nose against the glass and stare out. Any suggestions to fix this issue or should I not be too worried with him still being new to his enclosure and adjusting.

Also, any suggestions on feeding bowls? I got a couple fake rock looking ones but he doesn't seem to recognize that there is food inside them and hasn't been eating much since he arrived. I do understand it is a process and he needs time to adjust to a new home but any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum
Please go over the husbandry w/ us --- basking temps how your taking them ? Infrared heat gun digital probes or stick ons? UVB brand and bulb coil or tube ? What are you feeding him? He will go thru relocation stress that is normal --- but he should not quit eating if he does there is a problem - he should be eating something - hopefully your offering salads every morning along w / a good staple feeder -- crickets or dubias -- the glass surfing is normal he is probably wanting out but I would not let him as he is pretty young - if he is reacting to his reflection you can put up some magazine pages newspaper wrapping paper on the outside of the tank --- that will get rid of the reflection - its going to take some time but you need to work w/ him -- hand feed approach from side not above they have a 3rd eye and will think you are a predator -- hold him for like 5 minutes at a time or until he starts to squirm - I would put a piece of fleece or some sort of clothing in his hide so he gets used to your smell he is pretty young so its gonna take patience w/ him --- his bugs need to be dusted 5 x per week w/ vitamins 2 x per week -- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its good to feed as a staple feeder
Karrie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Also, once you make sure your husbandry and setup is 100% up to speed, your son should handle his beardie several times daily. Literally the night of the day Marijke came in the mail (she was 3 months old when I got her, too!), I wrapped her up in a fuzzy pink blanket for cats that I bought weeks prior and embroidered by hand and let her sleep on my chest while I watched some Youtube videos. This will help your beardie bond and take to his surroundings a bit better. Also, they love to be able to roam outside of their viv outside of the 2 hours required to bask after each meal, so be sure to provide plenty of time for your little fella to roam around. When they are bigger, they can actually wear a harness and enjoy going places with you, so long as you pay attention to their temperature. I actually saw one girl walking around the mall once with her bearded dragon cradled like a baby, and it was the cutest thing ever.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom