Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I get Kendra interested in the new toys we have for her?
I’ve also tried to get her to chase a laser pointer and she hold no interest in that also

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They don't always respond well to toys. I've tried playing with a large bouncy ball (too large to eat) and a cat toy with a bell in it but Darwin hasn't shown much interest. That can really vary between dragons though. Just keep trying some different things and see what sticks. I saw a video recently of a bearded dragon chasing one of those cat toys that hangs on a string off of a stick. Something like that might be worth a shot.

BeardieApollo

CooperDragon":1t59yft7 said:
They don't always respond well to toys. I've tried playing with a large bouncy ball (too large to eat) and a cat toy with a bell in it but Darwin hasn't shown much interest. That can really vary between dragons though. Just keep trying some different things and see what sticks. I saw a video recently of a bearded dragon chasing one of those cat toys that hangs on a string off of a stick. Something like that might be worth a shot.
Just make sure your beardie wont eat it, they can die if blockages in their guts rent treated quickly!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, good advice to keep choking hazards in mind. The toys should be too large or well secured to be ingested.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
CooperDragon":arcnvbgy said:
They don't always respond well to toys.
+1. ZARDOZ doesn't respond to "toys" either.
I've tried laser pointers, ping-pong balls, feather on a stick... While EDID and there are outliers, playing with toys isn't really in their nature. Climbing--OTOH--is, and Z loves to climb, jump off, and otherwise explore.

A few weeks ago, I started a thread--mostly in jest--about Habitrails for beardies. I never did that precisely, but for the first week or two in his enclosure, I built different configurations of basking towers out of slate-topped bricks & shale balconies with small potted plants interspersed. He seemed to like it a lot, exploring the different levels, hides, & paths to the top.

However it became painfully obvious that he would grow too big for it in a matter of weeks, so I settled on a single tower with steps & hides (and now a cork round) that he can still climb up a number of ways (sometimes straight up the vertical brick wall) and bask in different places on the 16" x 8" top. He divides his time mostly between the flat top and the steeply inclined cork round, but he still chills out on one of the steps, inside any of 3 hides, and/or on a big granite rock. When he gets rambunctious, he runs around in his basil forest or on the tops of the plants, playing what looks like "the floor is lava" (but who knows what's going on in that lizard brain? :dontknow: )

So I think the name of the game--rather than toys--is enrichment. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom