Too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! My beardie Jerald is officially a year and 3 months old, however I have a small paranoid concern about her size, she’s 17 inches long, and can fit in one of my hands(my hands are pretty small) but, she’s healthy, incredibly active(most times she wakes me up running around her cage) loves digging, and loves being out of her cage. She eats well and i try to keep her at a good weight but sometimes she goes a little over, so I’m assuming she’s healthy but still wanna check!
103695-132118199.jpg
103695-178732961.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, she looks perfectly healthy ! :) She still has some growing to do but some beardies don't grow past the 17-18" mark. Just like people, some adults are short, some are tall. Her weight looks fine, don't let her get too chubby, that's never good for a dragon.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Dragons do have sexual dimorphism where the females are typically at the smaller end of what is a normal size, males usually at the larger end. You can look for making sure her scales look clean and bright, healthy eyes, healthy mouth. Healthy fat and muscle distribution. At some point if you don't find anything wrong and keep up with your heat, UVB, and all husbandry you'll have to accept you've done everything you can.

For comparison My girl is similar age, 1 year and 7 months old. 16 inches long. About 400 grams weight depending on the day. I've gotten an x-ray and blood tests for her. By every measure I can do she is healthy, just small for a dragon. I also got her at 6 months old and very sick so she may have missed some chance to grow longer.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's true that females can sometimes be smaller but many males end up in the small range as well while some females end up as large as males, in the 22-24" range which is pretty much the max nowadays, [aside from some that are VERY rarely larger ]

Genofdistinct

Original Poster
Ok perfect, and it’s constantly a battle to keep her a good weight haha. But good to know just still had the little anxiety, doesn’t help that my rescue is massive!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom