I cleaned my beardie’s enclosure, and now she’s getting mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyaliff04

My bearded dragon is a few months old. Yesterday, I cleaned her enclosure and she seemed fine. Today though shes getting really mad. Puffing up, opening her mouth. I don’t know what I did.

jeremyaliff04

Original Poster
KarrieRee":390p0gnw said:
What did you clean it out w/?
Karrie
Nothing, I just took out everything and rinsed them with water, the only thing I cleaned was the carpet I use as substrate with soap and water and I made sure to rinse and dry it good before i put it back in

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok if you have decor that is washable you can use Dawn - I have ceramic tile in my tanks and use a vinegar/ water mix 50/50 - and if they poop on the decor which they dont usually its always on the tile it makes it easier to clean - shes probably mad cuz you moved things - did you do any redecorating like putting things in different spots - they dont like change but they do get used to it
Karrie

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
jeremyaliff04":1n4udf7e said:
My bearded dragon is a few months old. Yesterday, I cleaned her enclosure and she seemed fine. Today though shes getting really mad. Puffing up, opening her mouth. I don’t know what I did.
You invaded her territory (necessary, but she doesn't know that). She'll get over it. :0)

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
JumpinJellyfish":34j67iop said:
jeremyaliff04":34j67iop said:
You invaded her territory (necessary, but she doesn't know that). She'll get over it. :0)
+1, but I doubt it'd matter if she did know it was necessary.
They can be moody little critters. :lol:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Also, be sure when you do clean out her tank, that you put everything back exactly how
it was previously. LOL They have memory & don't like things changed around a lot.

Tracie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
EDID (Every Dragon Is Different). :wink: Mine loves exploring additions & changes to his enclosure, and checking everything out again after cleaning. ("Hey, where'd that dead roach go? I was saving that!" :lol: ) Some sources consider an occasional change "environment enrichment". E.g.
https://pethelpful.com/reptiles-amphibians/8-Enrichment-Activities-For-Bearded-Dragons
https://beardeddragonforum.com/threads/stress-vs-stimuli.1818/

Hard to say for sure exactly what caused the behavior. Cleaning could be the cause or it could be coincidental.
If changes stress her, depending on how enhanced her enclosure is (amount & variety of decor), cleaning may become challenging.
OTOH, if she's into/stimulated by changes, cleaning may become fun for her. :dontknow:

It may take a few times to figure out which kind she is, but either way, she'll get over it. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom