Someone help pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently cleaned my bearded dragons tank and under her hide I found a huge black beetle, this is the second time now, I don’t feed her live meal/super worms, her bedding is coconut fiber eco earth, pls help idk where they are from.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Do you have a picture of the beetle?

Did you ever feed live mealworms or superworms in the past? It's possible a few from a long time ago buried into the substrate and are now just emerging as beetles.

Or are these beetles that you have local to your area, and they are somehow getting in?

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I agree a picture would help. I have no idea how eco-earth is processed, or what it might be exposed to, but it's conceivable to me that some kind of eggs/larva could have been in it, and developed subsequently.

Personally, I've never used the stuff; I don't ascribe to particulate substrates or bioactive enclosures for arid-clime reptiles. Is it recommended to bake it before placing in an enclosure, like some other particulates and decor items? :dontknow:

Sarasttarke

Original Poster
Claudiusx":3qmlun36 said:
Hi there,

Do you have a picture of the beetle?

Did you ever feed live mealworms or superworms in the past? It's possible a few from a long time ago buried into the substrate and are now just emerging as beetles.

Or are these beetles that you have local to your area, and they are somehow getting in?

-Brandon

Sarasttarke

Original Poster
Thank you guys I don’t have a picture of the one but I know for a fact it’s a darkling beetle. I have a fed super worms a few times but not much because she’s only five months,and it’s not easy to digest, also when I did I fed her out side of the tank and I live in Canada Ontario. But I do feed her Fluker’s buffet blend with frezerdried crickets and meal worms, and they spill all the time can that have anything to do with it?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Sarasttarke":3cgy2foe said:
Thank you guys I don’t have a picture of the one but I know for a fact it’s a darkling beetle. I have a fed super worms a few times but not much because she’s only five months,and it’s not easy to digest, also when I did I fed her out side of the tank and I live in Canada Ontario. But I do feed her Fluker’s buffet blend with frezerdried crickets and meal worms, and they spill all the time can that have anything to do with it?

I've been feeding superworms since Z was 5 mo. He's had no problems eating or digesting them--just sayin'. :) In fact, when mixed with his num-numz (dubias), he'll always go for the supers first. They're beardie crack.

It appears some darkling beetle eggs can survive winter to hatch & develop in the spring. I spoze some eggs could have survived the freeze-drying process, hatched, and developed within the substrate. :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom