New- soon to be owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
I’m brand new to bearded dragons, I’ve always wanted one and now that I’ll be moving into my own apartment soon with my boyfriend, I am determined to get one. I have already purchased the Exo-Terra 40 gallon terrarium, 36x18x18. I’m in the process of doing nonstop research with my extended break in college and am hoping for some advice. I am a college student, so I don’t have a ton of money. I want to spoil the beardie, but on a budget. I already plan on getting the Zoo Med Reptisun 10 UVB, unless there is a better option. I am completely lost on the lighting and heat part. Every time I think I find a good basking light or heat lamp, the reviews make me doubt it. I’m hoping for some advice on what to purchase with my size terrarium. I also am looking into the decoration parts, like basking spots, hides, etc. I was wondering if there are ways to make it myself? I want to make sure that any supplies I buy to make it would be safe for it. Are there better or safer options instead of making them? I’d rather make sure it’s safe and spend a little more because of it. Thank you so much!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB that is recommended the most and is considered to be the best on the market at this time is the Reptisun 10.0 TUBE No Coils-- either the T 5 or T 8- the difference between the two is placement and distance of the bulbs--- the T 8 need to be replaced every 6 months the T 5 once a year-- you need a fixture w/ a reflector and since you said your on a budget you can go here and get a 24" fixture for $32-- and get the 10.0 bulb as well-- www.pangeareptiles.com these people are good and fast- the basking bulb needs to be a bright white bulb I would start w/ a 100 watt - you need to invest in a digital probe thermometer from Petco or PetSmart for $5 - I also recommend getting a infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store for $10-12-- the first year feeding will be expensive- they need live insects I recommend dubia roaches they are easier to keep than crickets- they need fresh greens everyday there is a website on the feeding board- it's the nutrition website- as far as decor some others on here would haft to advise on that---- I have gotten all my decor from Petsmart-- the two most important things in that tank are the UVB and basking temps--- No colored bulbs--- if you are going to need extra heat we can advise on that as well-- good luck and please ask more questions if you have them
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Sadiedaisy":1hnrui32 said:
I’m in the process of doing nonstop research
That's good. Be advised/aware that will continue for at least as long as you have/keep a reptile. :D

I am a college student, so I don’t have a ton of money.
For most folks, that goes together like peanut butter & jelly. :lol:

I want to spoil the beardie, but on a budget.
Now we're getting down to it. Most of the answers you're looking for can be found by perusing the articles in the Care Sheets and Articles section (in the horizontal menu bar above) on this site.

Reality Check: For most people, owning/keeping a bearded dragon is a hobby, and like most hobbies, that means it's a money pit. I think some other good articles to peruse would be: costs of owning a bearded dragon.

Rhetorical questions:
  • Have you ever been responsible for the care of a pet before?
  • Will this pet be solely your responsibility (care and financially) or is this a joint venture with your BF, and if so, to what degrees of each?

I’m hoping for some advice on what to purchase with my size terrarium. I also am looking into the decoration parts, like basking spots, hides, etc. I was wondering if there are ways to make it myself?
There are always ways to make things yourself. Like any DIY projects, it depends on your ambition, creativity/imagination, skill(s) and budget(s). A lot of ideas and realization discussions can be found in the DIY forum.

I want to make sure that any supplies I buy to make it would be safe for it.
Anything you want to know in that area can usually be found by googling: bearded dragon safe *****. :wink:

Are there better or safer options instead of making them?
What's "better"? :roll:
IME, safer is not necessarily the same as safe. :wink:
There are always options. :)

Sadiedaisy

Original Poster
Thank you guys so much! I'm aware it's something that will be a cost for it's whole life, and I'm ready for that commitment! I have a fish and a dog that I care for. I've grown up with dogs and cats and have been around many other animals. I've volunteered at the local humane society and have an endless love for animals. I'm excited to add a new member to my family!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom