New Owner/Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

liaelassus

So I recently got my first bearded dragon a couple weeks ago. I’ve owned (still own one) ball pythons before, so I’m familiar with reptiles, but obviously snakes are different than beardies. He’s a baby, about 6 1/2 inches long, SUPER cute. I’ve already fallen in love with him and his quirky personality. Recently over the past week and a half, he’s been showing signs of shedding- laziness, poor appetite, dull and darker skin- but he has these white patches on his face around his mouth area to his eyes (No other white patches on the rest of his body). I know that’s totally normal for shedding, but they’ve been there for probably a week now, maybe more, and they haven’t started flaking or anything. When does his skin start actually coming off? I’m aware babies/juveniles shed a lot more frequently than adults, so i figured the process of the shed would be quicker too. I’ve been soaking him every day, if not every other day, for about 20-30 minutes. Is his skin stuck, or is this normal and I’m just being paranoid?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is normal for them to hold shed for a while it will come off -- his eating may slow as per shedding as well as relocation stress but he should not quit eating all together -- if this is the case something is off in the tank - he needs good basking temps of 105-110 and it needs to be a bright white basking bulb temps taken w / a digital probe thermometer and or a infrared heat gun -- both recommended --- a good UVB NO coils --- tube fixture -- placement is key for this --- no colored bulbs!!! If you have anymore questions please ask
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
FWIW, my temps & lighting are spot-on, and ZaRDoZ still has a few "problem areas"; some dragons just do. He had some shed stuck around his mouth from his last shed that didn't come off until his most recent (currently ongoing) shed, despite multiple baths & brushing w/ soft toothbrush.

Fortunately, he's real good about shedding other difficult areas, like his toes, eyes, ears, and tail-tip.
But then he has a LOT of things to rub up against (and he does) to help him. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom