New owner- Lots of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive always been into reptiles, but never owned one. My boyfriend’s friend could no longer care for hers, so she asked me to take her in. I’ve been doing a lot of research, but I still feel like I’m doing everything wrong. Please help! Ciri is an almost 2 year old female. Her previous owner was feeding her pellets, crickets, and blueberries only. She had a 60W aqua culture bulb, a heat rock, newspaper substrate, and a log. She had no UVB.

I got her yesterday and revamped her 40 gal. I have an 8.5” Fluker clamp lamp with a 100W Zoo Med basking bulb. I originally bought a coil UVB and then read on here that they’re no good, so I have a fluorescent fixture arriving Monday for use with the Reptisun tubes for UVB.

She was very calm and relaxed yesterday. We held her and pet her and she was very sweet. I shut off all of her lamps at 9 PM (no colored bulbs, no night light) and she fell asleep. She was sound asleep until a little after I laid down, then she started glass surfing. She did it periodically through the night- temp did not fall below 65F. When I woke up at 7 AM to turn on her lamp, she was still vertical against the glass. She got down shortly after I turned on the lamp. She’s been acting kinda weird all day, very grumpy, doesn’t want to be touched. She looks like she’s going to shed, but because she’s grumpy I don’t want to take her out to soak. I have a large water bowl on the cool side so she can soak if she needs but I don’t want to agitate her.

So now for all of my questions: for grumpy shedders, how do you deal with soaking? Do you think that’s why she’s acting grumpy/weird? I used a temp gun and her basking side is only 95F, should I get a higher wattage bulb? Or a different kind of bulb entirely? Do I have too much in her tank? How do I get her to switch to a salad diet? She’s not going for it so far, but she could also be too stressed from the move to eat right? I’m stressed for her haha. Please offer any kind of advice for helping her with the transition. I’m going to post images of her and her setup.

Also for clarification, her substrate is an Exo Terra sand mat, not actual sand.
107597-1147330185.jpg
107597-1699540695.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would take the water bowl out its too big and if shes not using its a waste of floor space--- she has no floor space in that tank - I would look at getting her into a larger tank 75-120 gallon - the glass surfing is she wants out -- she looks cramped in that tank --- you can look on line on FB market place for tanks or craigslist - just make sure if you get a used tank sanitize it good before use and try and find one w/ front doors - we can give ideas on finding new ones as well -- you can go w/ a higher wattage bulb temps should be 95-110 but make sure you have your heat gun to get temps or get a different basking decor that offers a heat gradient -- does she use that big long stick in the tank?
Karrie

CiriTheBeardie

Original Poster
She currently has a 4’x2’x2’ enclosure from Zen Habitats on the way, I had pretty short notice of getting her, so she came in this tank. I’ll remove the water bowl, I was just concerned about her shedding. She was using the stick in her previous set up, so I left it just in case. She hasn’t touched it since I redecorated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thats great you have a Zen coming -- I have 2 of them - that will or I am guessing will alleviate the glass surfing- what Reptisun do you have coming a T 5 or a T 8 ? The substrate I am using is slated ceramic tile - it is wonderful for clean up and I have a thick shop paper towel underneath to catch the water/ urate - you can also get some NON adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot as well - if you have any more questions about substrate please ask - the sand mat is going to get expensive to keep replacing w/ the Zen
Karrie

CiriTheBeardie

Original Poster
Are those tiles just like the ones you can get at Home Depot and Lowe’s? Also, what does your cleaning schedule look like with tiles and paper towels?

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Hi hon! Welcome to you and Ciri! ?
Relax, you're on the right track. You have a great enclosure coming and over the next couple weeks you'll both settle in a little. ?
Don't try too much. She needs time to settle and you're going to be moving her again soon which in itself can be stressful. Even if she's going into shed, which does make them grumpy, she can wait a while to bathe, let her calm down some first. ?
Once you get her viv and lights and temps correct, it's smooth sailing after that. Her temps and lights are the most important things for her health and happiness. Karrie is the best with lights and such. ?She'll let you know what you need. She was the most help for me and Petey when we first came here. ❤
As for feeding, since she wasn't used to eating veggies, it may take time but she'll come around, just be sure to give her some each day. A good green or 2 with maybe some summer squash, a bite or 2 of fruit. I wouldn't make a massive salad right away since you'll be tossing most of it, but you can make it bigger as she starts eating it. Karrie can also give you suggestions to help get her eating salads. I forgot what you're feeding for protein but at her age she only needs protein meals maybe 3 times a week. Salad every day. Maybe a multivite with calcium on her protein meal. Adults are much easier than babies, not to mention cheaper to feed! Lol! ?
I suggest you also get a timer for her lights so you can get her on a schedule and not have to worry if you're late getting home or sleep in. They're pretty cheap anywhere, but I got mine from Harbor Freight for $5. If you don't have 1 near you, they are online too. I'm sure Amazon has them along with the IR temp gun and digital thermometers with probe. The 2 best things to use for temps. Both inexpensive on Amazon. I got the IR and 2 digital probes for $15 from them.
That's all I can think of offhand. If you have questions, please ask. Lots of great helpful people here to help.
Welcome to the life of a dragon slave! LOL!
-Dee
Edit - if you haven't already, take out the heat rock. As I understand it, they're not good for Beardies. If I'm wrong I know someone with more knowledge will chime in. ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
CiriTheBeardie":34fun60d said:
Are those tiles just like the ones you can get at Home Depot and Lowe’s? Also, what does your cleaning schedule look like with tiles and paper towels?
The tiles are from home Depot- you will need a tile cutter- to cut them tho - here is what I am using cost me $13 to tile and cleaning is as needed- I don't have my tiles grouted or sealed so I can pull them so if food or urate- etc gets in the cracks it's easy clean up w/ vinegar/ water in a spray bottle 50/50--
97951-666388767.jpg
Karrie

CiriTheBeardie

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the feedback! Definitely making me feel better. She doesn’t have the heat rock in! I removed that as soon as I got her haha! And I’m getting a different bulb today in hopes to get her temp correct.

Karrie, since you have the Zen habitats right now, what lighting do you have? Since it’s a different height than the 40 gal I was curious if I was going to alter my lighting once I have that enclosure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes since its 24 inches if you have the T 5 it will need to be 12-15 inches from basking decor- that would be the better choice of bulbs than the T 8 as it would need to sit lower - approx 8-10 inches- what size fixture did you get? Bigger tanks need the T 5 bulb --- my basking light sits on top of the screen mesh and its a 150 watt bulb -- the heat emitter sits on top of mesh as well and is only used in the winter time -- it keeps my tanks around 70 -- there are bars running across the top of the screen mesh they are width wise so you can hang stuff from that if need be -- I dont use them -- my UVB is hung from stainless rods that are real thin and bendable that my husband got -- you can use long plastic zip ties - fishing line- 3M velcro fasteners --- picture wire hanger -- and I have heard some one using stuff for potted plants as well --
Karrie

CiriTheBeardie

Original Poster
I got the 2 ft. T5 1-Bulb High Output 24-Watt Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture that was suggested on the "What to buy" post, along with the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom