New Beardie Owner Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Hey gang. I recently took in an abandoned beardie adult (my first) and have been doing lots of research to make sure I'm providing him the best possible care. I've read all about their behaviors as we both get used to each other but he does this one thing and I don't know what it is or means. He makes this sound and I'm not sure if it's a cough or a growl but when he does it he tends to spit a bit when he does it. I usually put him back into his home when he does it as I figure he's just agitated and wants away from me. He's fine after I put him back. Anyone else have their dragon do this?

I do have a vet visit scheduled for a week from now just to have him checked out. Thanks gang

107595-6215643780.jpg

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Bearded dragons don't have vocal cords, so more likely it was a cough (thought they can hiss & spit pretty good too). A vet checkup is good; be sure to mention this behavior even if it stops.

Putting him back when he does this, whether he wants you to or not, may not be the best idea. It's teaching him that to get his own way with you, that's all he has to do. You may not mind that--just be forewarned it may get in the way of taming. :wink:

I'd wait a few extra minutes until he calms down to put him away, so the decision is coming from you--not him. :)

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Hi and welcome to the site! ☺
Agree with MrSpectrum. A vet visit will give you a baseline on the health of your beardie, plus let you see whether or not you're confident in that vet or need to look for another one. ? Don't forget to mention the noise he made.
Any questions or concerns, please ask. Many experienced and helpful people here.?
-Dee

Beansauce

Hi,
I just got a baby bearded dragon not even 5 days ago and I'm already worried. This is my first time owning one and I feel like I'm doing a lot wrong. I'm hoping that you guys could help me out with some of my questions.
1. He wont eat anything that I have bee offering him over the last few days. Is that normal? Could he still be acclimating to the new place?
2. His heating and UVB light are sitting on top of his tank on the wire screen top. Is that OK or do i have to find a way to have it off?
3. He really only sits in one spot in his whole tank. Is his tank not hot enough for him?
4. How can I get him to eat and how can i make the tank hotter with out buying another light for him?
please help me, I feel like a bad first time mom to him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
@Beansauce
Your thread will probably get moved to its own so - first off your dragon will go thru relocation stress - so it is common for them to eat less but to completely quit eating-- no --- tell us what the lighting is your using - mainly the UVB brand and bulb? Next the basking bulb should be one that keeps temps 105-110 and taken w/ a digital probe and or / a infrared heat gun -probes can be bought from Petco or Petsmart for $5 and the heat gun from your local home improvement store for around $10-12-- NO stickons they are inaccurate for basking temps - ambient temps are fine and you want your cool side of tank around 80's during the day and not below 65 at nite -- they like cool and dark at nite NO colored bulbs--- I can help w/ eating but first you must get your lighting fixed --- they will not eat if its not proper --- and those two things are the most important thing in that tank
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Beansauce":3qa2rwws said:
1. He wont eat anything that I have bee offering him over the last few days. Is that normal? Could he still be acclimating to the new place?

What have you been offering him? Relocation stress is typical, but temporary. When he gets hungry enough, he'll eat (depending on what you're offering--mine won't eat anything unless it's moving, and he'll starve first).

2. His heating and UVB light are sitting on top of his tank on the wire screen top. Is that OK or do i have to find a way to have it off?

:? ??? :? Please clarify.

3. He really only sits in one spot in his whole tank. Is his tank not hot enough for him?

As Karrie mentioned, we don't know your temps. BDs--like all reptiles--are cold-blooded; they spend much of their time sitting in the same place basking/trying to warm up/keep warm.

4. How can I get him to eat and how can i make the tank hotter with out buying another light for him?
please help me, I feel like a bad first time mom to him.

Insulation. If this is a glass tank, you can insulate the back, sides, and parts of the top not involved with lighting & ventilation with 1/2" rigid foam insulation from a home improvement store, or with multiple layers of corrugated cardboard.

Depending on the type of basking bulb, a higher wattage may also help, but that has to be balanced with the distance to his basking area.

But first, you need to know what the temperatures are.

Getting lighting & temperatures right are very important, but they may require some trial & error, and may take a little time.

Beansauce

@KarrieRee
For his UVB I have a 13w Fluorescent lamp by Reptisun
For his Heat I have a 75w basking light by ReptiBasking
this all came in a two pack with one of those combo domes.
For food I have been trying to give him meal-worms and crickets (not at the same time) and I have also offered him some greens to see if he would take that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get rid of that coil bulb and replace w/ a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 bulb either the T 8 or T 5 you can find those at this website www.pangeareptiles.com-- the basking temps need to be 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe and or infrared heat gun I recommend both-- they can be bought at Petco or PetSmart for $5- the heat gun at your local home improvement store for $10-12-- he will not eat w/ out proper basking temps and a good UVB at this point he's getting NO UVB-- please let us know what you buy as far as the T 5 or T 8 as they have certain placement in tank
Karrie

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
My beardie used to hiss at me and it made a loud breathing noise as hissing goes. If his body is almost compleatly flat and at an angle then hes is in the stage of perpetualy angry his beard should also be black and realy big. Ill try to find a picture of red when he was a little bitey goblin

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the help. Took Mr. Pickles to a vet and he checked out great. Luckily he made the noise in front of the vet who told me he was upset and hissing. He said its normal. However he gave me grief for my lighting setup as I was using a zoo med dual dome with the UVB in one slot and basking in the other. He told me to get a UVB hood so I bought a Zoo Med T8 hood. Is this a good one for beardies? It's a 20" hood. This little guy and I are starting to click so I really want the best for him. Right now his tank is 36x18x18 so I figure a 20" hood is good. I do plan on getting him a bigger tank once the money frees up.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes the 20" hood is good and a Reptisun T 8 is good as well but a T 5 would be better -- the T 8 needs to go inside the tank and approx 8-10 inches from basking spot --- I am glad the vet knows his lighting alot of the vets dont even go over husbandry issues and some I have heard recommend colored bulbs which is a NO NO -- I am not sure if you can get a T 5 bulb for a 20" fixture - but if you can the next time you change the bulb out which will need to be in 6 months check and see if you can get it --- again distance will need to be changed as they are a stronger bulb
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom