Sharp nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savvy

Hi all!
Our little guy is about 8 months old and has some of the sharpest little needle nails! I hold him almost every day and he doesn't move too much while holding him but, afterward I look like I got in a fight with the cat! Aside from putting ceramic tiles in the enclosure, is there a safe and not too stressful way to trim his nails?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They sure can have some sharp nails!
You can actually use a nail file to dull them if you need to. Using nail clippers if careful, can
be used to trim the nails. If you do decide to trim them, just be careful not to hit the vein at
the end where the nail begins.

Tracie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
We use the tile floor and other slate & shale surfaces. Is there a problem w/ rough tile? ?

I'm not recommending the following (no personal experience);
I'm asking if anyone's tried it or knows if it'd work...

Some kind of Pedipaws type grinder (I understand they make clippers as well)?
We had a PP for our dog, but they didn't hold up very well, and we had trouble getting the mfr./vendor to stand by the product. DW found a "clone"--Oster Gentle Paws®, that's working much better on Ol' Furface. (Looks like some other clone options across the top of the same page.) No idea if any of these would be appropriate for a dragon, but throwing it up on the wall to see if it sticks... :lol:

Savvy

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the advice. Nothing against rough tile. I think tile is zero stress which is obviously ideal. I planned on making about half the enclosure tile but, was just curious what other safe options were out there. I trim the dogs and cats nails but, his are so tiny I'm honestly nervous to do it. For the tile option, is it better to put it on the hot or the cool side? Or does that really even matter?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Warm/Cool... Z's whole floor is rough (slate) ceramic tile, and his brick basking tower is topped w/ real slate tiles. He's always liked climbing straight up the brick wall rather than "taking the stairs". :lol: One hide has a very rough shale roof, but he doesn't really go there. There's a removable basil forest (half a dozen basil plants) in a plastic tray if he wanted a different surface, bur he doesn't seem to--he's only been in there twice that I know of, and never for more than a few minutes. There are some other less hard textured areas as well, but he seems to prefer the slate--that's where he spends 99.999% of his time.

Other Options:
The Best (And Safest) Substrates for Bearded Dragons
Choosing The Best Substrate for a Bearded Dragon
Choosing the Best Substrate for Bearded Dragons (I find the table particularly useful)

Can't/Don't blame you about being nervous about trimming; I would be too. Ol' Furface hates it too, but he likes the grinder thing. Less/no shock, and we make a game out of it. I don't think reptiles play/understand fun/games the same way higher mammals can. :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom