Rescued 2 Florida Red Belly Cooters (update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yep, you guessed it! These came from the same home as my Spiny Softshell turtle "Timmy". They where just going to leave them in the house they moved out of, I figured I would wind up with them some time or another. Anyway, now I have to build another aquaterarrium, ya me....woohoo!!!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
They are 10 years old and about 8" long. They got them for their kids and they lost interest years ago. Poor fitters were neglected for a long time!!!
They had no UVB, no basking light, no proper nutrition so I have my work cut out for me.
:angry5: :banghead: :angry5: :banghead: :angry5: :banghead: Some people shouldn't own a pet.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Gormagon":3cbpbm3z said:
They are 10 years old and about 8" long. They got them for their kids and they lost interest years ago. Poor fitters were neglected for a long time!!!
They had no UVB, no basking light, no proper nutrition so I have my work cut out for me.
:angry5: :banghead: :angry5: :banghead: :angry5: :banghead: Some people shouldn't own a pet.
Oh Lord! I hear ya! ? But I'm sure you can get them back on the right path. ?
You remind me of ME! Lol! Either adopting or being adopted BY a critter. ?
-Dee

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
I will never understand what makes people think it's okay to just leave animals when they move or evacuate. I'm grateful for people like you who can and do save them and give them a better life!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Do you have any idea how long I spent searching google for a BD known as a "Florida Red Bellied Cooter"? (I missed the 8" length part the first time through...) :oops:

I mean, I don't care personally, but there is a forum for Turtles and Tortoises :lol:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":3rx8pb2x said:
Do you have any idea how long I spent searching google for a BD known as a "Florida Red Bellied Cooter"? (I missed the 8" length part the first time through...) :oops:

I mean, I don't care personally, but there is a forum for Turtles and Tortoises :lol:
Hey! I only this week found all those other forums, they are sorta hidden. ? Growing up in Florida it didn't even occur to me that someone wouldn't know what 'cooters' are. ? Thought it funny you were looking for some strange BD. ?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
If some people could laugh at themselves as much as I laugh at myself--or at all--I think the world would be a better, happier place. :D

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I have been working on a new home for "Archie and Edith" because they had been living in a small space for so long. I had plenty of 1/2" Lexan out in the shop so I built them a new 42" x 22" x 24" aquatic living space. All built from scratch. Ah Ha!!! No leaks!!!
87978-1856719824.jpg

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
That is beautiful, and I love the name choices. Once again I envy your skills.
I'll assume due to their age(s) you're positive about their sexes. Do you need to add accommodations for future egg-laying?

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
That looks great! ? So much better than pet store tank!
I feel for ya though, they are messy critters for sure! Lots of cleaning to be done on the regular. Get the best filtering system you can afford. I still had to put my 50gal squat in the tub every other week for a full scrub down. Much younger then. Lol! But I loved the 3 I had, each one with its own disposition and personality. Had them for 7 yrs. They were pretty amazing. I gave them to a girlfriend who had an 8 yo daughter that just adored them and would come visit every week. ? since I had to move out of state I knew they'd be cared for.
Enjoy those crazy critters! I sure did mine. ?
-Dee

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":1axrdhvr said:
That is beautiful, and I love the name choices. Once again I envy your skills.
I'll assume due to their age(s) you're positive about their sexes. Do you need to add accommodations for future egg-laying?
Thank you!!!

As for the egg laying part........ I sure hope not!!!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
DragonPete":io0fvtdj said:
That looks great! ? So much better than pet store tank!
I feel for ya though, they are messy critters for sure! Lots of cleaning to be done on the regular. Get the best filtering system you can afford. I still had to put my 50gal squat in the tub every other week for a full scrub down. Much younger then. Lol! But I loved the 3 I had, each one with its own disposition and personality. Had them for 7 yrs. They were pretty amazing. I gave them to a girlfriend who had an 8 yo daughter that just adored them and would come visit every week. ? since I had to move out of state I knew they'd be cared for.
Enjoy those crazy critters! I sure did mine. ?
-Dee
Thank you and, yes, they are messy!!! I have one of the best filters ever made that I used on my larger aquarium years ago (285 gallons). I have a Diatom Filter that I am going to try on it and see how it works. And how often I will have to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom