New beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

hachmanjess

Hello everyone! I just bought two beardies for my son from a friend of a friend who got them from a local breeder. They came with both of their own tanks,lighting fixtures and accessories. We bought them for my 5 year old and obviously are very cautious right now. What is the best way to get a new beardie used to you and their new home?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum --- 2 babies you will have your hands full :) Ok so relocation stress will happen --- their eating will slow down but not completely stop--- if it does there is a issue w/ either lighting basking temps etc.............. so w/ that being said can you please go over the husbandry of the tanks ---- UVB brand and bulb coil or tube ---- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them --- what size tank and what kind of substrate ------------ do you know sexes ? they should be kept separate even out of the tanks --- never together --- Next please do not allow the 5 yr old to handle - you hold the babies for now ---- we have had too many accidents w/ the dragons being out and sat on stepped on knelt on etc.............. dogs and cats should be kept away from the babies - it will stress them out --- it will take some time for them to become used to their new environment-- I would leave them alone for a week as far as handling them - start out w/ your hand in the tank feeding cleaning etc..... they need to get used to your hands in their home--- you can put a piece of clothing or fleece blanket or part of a blanket w/ your smell on it in their hide ---for them to become used to you
They will need fresh salads every day here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
They are going to mainly eat bugs --- I recommend dubia roaches - they are the easiest to care for and they are more nutritious --- they need to be dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins 2 x per week --- here are some websites for bugs / worms etc ----
www.dubiaroaches.com -- this place is fast and good - you can get horn worms from here butter worms - horn worms grow really fast so order small amounts --
www.sympton.com--- great staple feeder - feed as many as you want and you dont need to dust --- they are great to put on the salads as it will lure them to the glass bowl ---
www.https://reptilesupply.com/ -- they have small super worms to use for now till your babies get bigger -- use them 1-3 to put on top of salads and to draw them to your glass bowl --
You want to feed the salad first thing in the morning before your insects - you want them eating salads now add your worms in front of them -- it will get their attention - add your staple feeder crickets can be used but you need to pull a leg off to disable them from getting out of the glass bowl---- after an hr of them eating out of that bowl add the feeders
They need to eat as many bugs as they can in 10 minute time frame --- Hope this info helps -- if you have any more questions please ask
We would like to see your babies can you post pics of them
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

hachmanjess

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply and information! The male is about 16 months and the female is about 18 months and they’re both in separate enclosures. At this age they are both adults pretty much and now need more veggies than bug (protein) correct?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Pretty much- salads everyday bugs 2-3 times per week-- what do you have your tanks set up w/ for lighting?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom