Zoomed Reptisun 10.0 UVB pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why the Zoomed Reptisun 10.0 UVB is $40 in stores but $20 online? I’ve been buying them in stores and never realized how much I could be saving by buying them online.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's usually how it is for many items to be honest. But, it is convenient to be able to just drop by the store real quick and get the item you need as opposed to waiting a few days for shipping.

That being said though, I don't buy anything at petstores anymore usually. I make sure I have at least 1 spare bulb on hand. :)

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
This infers the reseller is dealing direct with the manufacturer or their distributer and doesn't actually have the item physically "in stock" but simply acts as a middleman
>> takes your order and money
>> then orders the goods at wholesale price from the distributer / manufacturer to fill your order
& has the item shipped to you direct from the distributer / manufacturer ( don't physically ever touch it or see it ).

Advantages
>> no stock in hand at their base ( likely their home office or garage ) that's sitting around gathering dust and interest rates ( shops usually buy on credit )
>> no rental for the walk in shop
>> no staff for the walk in shop

Disadvantages
>> no inventory ,so can't ship instantly
>> some products have minimum order sizes so this can mean a delay in shipping if they have to get the minimum order delivered first to their home / shed / lockup , before they can fill the individual order.
>> usually online only sellers have a much skinnier profit margin on the goods they sell .

Walk in (pet) shops often change extortionate prices because they are operating in a small local monopoly and know the majority of their customers wont travel far to buy and want the goods instantly and haven't done any on-line or even over the phone price checking ( to find the lowest price ).

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
kingofnobbys":2vr16qt8 said:
Walk in (pet) shops often change extortionate prices because they are operating in a small local monopoly and know the majority of their customers wont travel far to buy and want the goods instantly and haven't done any on-line or even over the phone price checking ( to find the lowest price ).

This. This right here. This applies to a variety of stores/shoppers.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
pangearetpiles sells a fixture w/ a reflector for $32 - its probably generic but if it works it works - you can get the Reptisun bulb for $20 which is normal price --- I dont think that is too bad
Karrie

I buy online for the most part, and if not i'll look online to get a general idea of a price before I go to the store. Sites like Big Al's reptiles or LLLReptiles have CRAZY low prices- I have a 50 to 60 gallon Zoo Med UTH on the way for under 30 bucks, as well as zoo med clay balls- 9 bucks on amazon, 4.49 on Big Al's. The one thing that sucks is the slow shipping!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":258qcloz said:
pangearetpiles sells a fixture w/ a reflector for $32 - its probably generic but if it works it works - you can get the Reptisun bulb for $20 which is normal price --- I dont think that is too bad
Karrie
Be thankful you aren't in Australia when it comes to buying lights and fittings
ie
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/zoo-med-t5-reptile-globe.html is $49.95
and
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/zoo-med-t5-reflector.html is $129.95
add 10% GST and postage.

Outrageously large markup , even if the exchange rate is a woeful 1 AUD = 0.7 USD.
ie They wont be paying $20 per tube wholesale , but even if they are buying in bulk at USA retail prices
20 / 0.7 = 28.57 , add surface mail of a bulk order = maybe $5 per tube . The rest is the markup.

This is why people like me buy from overseas and have stuff shipped to us direct.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
I'm not sure where you are shopping, but I do know that Wal-Mart, Target, Petco, PetSmart, and I think LLL reptile will match store prices with their online prices.

Just look up the item on your phone and they will adjust at the register. I do this whenever I need to purchase substrate, bowls and sometimes even food items.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom