NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericacon

Hello everyone,
I am a 22 year old from Canada and have been researching Bearded Dragons for about a year, i have finally decided to take the leap and get one.
I have a few questions:
Is getting one from a breeder scary? what if they die in shipping? What if my mailman shakes the box and I have to open a dead beardie? I am terrified.
Since I am new should I get an adult not a baby?
I seen someone rehoming a 2 year old female, and I am just scared she was mistreated and will hate me.
I also have been eyeing a little girl from a breeder, with one eye smaller than the other. Is this bad? Can she die from it? Unknown if she is blind.

ericacon":3bplasip said:
Is getting one from a breeder scary
For your first beardie, it shouldn't be "scary". It is a little nerve racking, but as long as you purchase from a well known breeder, there should be no problems. Breeders are usually very understanding and will help you through every step of the way.

What if they die in shipping
Sadly, that is an option. Most, if not all breeders, ship next day air for a morning delivery time. With that being said, the actual shipping time should not stress the beardie out to the point of death. I had my beardie sent from Florida (sea level 90+°F) to Flagstaff, AZ (8,000ft 60°F), and he was perfectly fine. However, the animal is being handled by the mail system. Most breeders will put on the box "LIVE HARMLESS REPTILE", so anyone with a heart will care for the box delicately. Also, most breeders ship their dragons in a breathable canvas bag, with packing peanuts, newspaper, and all that encased in styrofoam, so it is very safe in there.

What if my mailman shakes the box and I have to open a dead beardie
Again, that is a risk. You just need to trust the breeder, and trust people have good hearts and aren't going to shake a box that says "LIVE HARMLESS REPTILE". If you're mailman was to purposefully try to harm the animal, and you had proof, at least you'd win a lawsuit on it :wink:

Since I am new should I get an adult not a baby
It is up to you. Personally, I would get a baby. If you get an adult, you are taking the risk that the adult may have some "bad" habits. IE not eating greens, picky with what insects they like, etc. Also, you won't be able to track the progression of your baby. That's one of the best things about raising a beardie is watching he/she grow into an adult.

I seen someone re-homing a 2 year old female, and I am just scared she was mistreated and will hate me
If that is the route you want to go, contact the owner and get a feel for them. If you get a feeling they are abusive, I would stay away.

I also have been eyeing a little girl from a breeder, with one eye smaller than the other. Is this bad? Can she die from it? Unknown if she is blind.
I am unable to answer this since I am not a vet. You could always request the owner to take the beardie to the vet first to ensure her health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom