Need some help folks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
As posted in Introductions, we got our 5 week old beardie this past Sat. (11/2)

We had ordered 2 Reptisun 36" 10.0 T5 fluorescent bulbs ahead of time through "The River", but they did not arrive until today, and they shipped us T8s, which won't fit the T5 fixture we bought.

Got on Google and found one at a local pet shop, ran out and bought it, and when we got home, the danged bulb doesn't work! Been on Google & the phone since, and there isn't another one to be found anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can get a Reptisun 36" 10.0 T5 fluorescent bulb FAST? We're in the Northeastern US, and the little guy has been without UVB since Saturday.

How much of an emergency is this? Do we still have some time to order another one and get it shipped, or what? Should I make do with a compact?

TIA

Might sound silly but can you order through amazon? Im not sure if the t5s are still on backorder on the US amazon. The coil bulb might be ok for another couple of days, you have another option of going out and buying a under counter fixture for the t8 you have, but id understand if you wouldn't want to spend the extra money.

edit: just realized you dont have any UVB at all im guessing (probably not worth to go get a coil), what is the temperature outside can you take him out for some sun?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
daveferns1":32zs5sx8 said:
what is the temperature outside can you take him out for some sun?

In the Northeastern US in November? The high today was 40° F, not to mention the cloud cover.
I don't think so.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The t5s dont come in a 36 inch version, they are 34 inches. The t8s are 36" though. So that might have been the mixup with amazon.

I would just go back to amazon to order. Or chewey or petco online. He will be fine until it comes in, especially if you can get the 2 day shipping.

If you are really concerned about it, since you have the t8 bulbs already, you could just go buy a cheap fixture for them.
But I wouldnt be too concerned about 1 week without uvb.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This might sound silly but are you sure you twisted it in all the way ? And are you sure the light is bad and not the fixture ? I would definitely get a cheap fiture for the t8 if you won't be able to get a t5 before next week. Although more than a week with no uvb can would be no problem for an older dragon it would have real potential to start a calcium deficiency problem for a baby dragon.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3ajfmu4a said:
The t5s dont come in a 36 inch version, they are 34 inches. The t8s are 36" though. So that might have been the mixup with amazon.
No, it was a confusing/deceptive listing. Too long to go into here. The order says 36" 10.0 HO bulbs. ICBW, but I've never seen T8s listed as High Output--only T5s, and the picture in the listing was clearly a T5.
I would just go back to amazon to order.
It took them 9 days to get them here the first time. That'd be almost 3 weeks without. IDTS.

What about a compact (as long as he's still in the sterilite tub)? I haven't checked yet, but I think that'd be a lot cheaper than some other options, no? I can run out and buy one of those and a cheap dome.

We're planning on Petco this time, but concerned about any more delays.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You could go with a compact , a friend of mine raised babies for years with them. Just watch for signs of eye discomfort but it should be fine.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you have prime?
Because i just checked and I can get a 34" t5 to my door by friday if I order within the next 4 hours.

You could do the compact. But you can probably buy a cheap t8 fixture for less than a compact bulb. But both options will work. I still think you dont really need to worry about it if you can get the bulb you want before next week. Especially if you're using calcium + d3.

Petco usually ships out quick too. At least they usually give you an estimate.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Called the breeder to leave a voice-mail (it's, their day off) but he answered. (A prince!)
He said to double up on the Calcium/D3 until the bulbs arrive, and the "leetle feller" [sic] should be fine.

We've ordered another pair of T5s from Petco; ETA Friday (finners crossed).
I can't see buying a T8 fixture (especially such an odd size) for bulbs we're returning--never to use again.

No question the bulb is bad. Fixture is a Sunblaster, and the non-UV bulb that came with it works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom