Great prices on Solarmeter 6.5 and 6.5r on Amazon US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!
I've been reading and benefitting from this AMAZING forum for over 5 years now, but this is my first time posting! I'll introduce my 13 yr old beardie, Velcro soon and share his story. But for the moment, in case anyone is looking to buy a Solarmeter, I wanted to share the great prices I just found on Amazon for the 6.5 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GT4EQYG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and 6.5r
https://www.amazon.com/Solarmeter-M...r+6.5r&qid=1572299560&s=amazon-devices&sr=8-1

This is Amazon US, but there may be similar savings on Amazon sites for other countries as well. I glanced at prices for the 6.2 & 6.2r, but if I recall, they didn't seem to be as good of a deal currently.

I usually only buy sensitive equipment directly from the manufacturer, if they offer it, but the difference between $256 ($249 + $7 shipping) from Solarmeter's website, and $189 + free shipping on Amazon for the 6.5 was just too good to pass up. I wanted to be sure, though, that the same warranty applies, that they weren't re-packaged by Amazon, weren't "seconds," et cet. So I called Solar Light directly, and was assured that they stock Amazon's warehouses themselves and ship from there as well. Same people, same exact product, same warrany, everything!

I was going to get the 6.5r ($203) with the cute reptile graphics and handy Ferguson Zone chart on it but since it's otherwise the same exact meter I opted to save the extra $14 and put that toward some BSFL for my old "baby" lol.

If the prices on Amazon are already common knowledge, please forgive me. I was just so excited I had to share. I can't wait to get it! No more guessing/stressing when it comes to trying to provide a safe and optimal amount of uvb for my lil' guy!

Take care all
Lacey

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Lacey,

Thanks for making a post on this!

It does kind of seem their prices are going down, at least on amazon. So that might be good news for us lizard owners! I bought my 6.5 awhile back at 195 I think it was. I thought it was a pretty good deal at the time! lol.

I agree, the 6.5r really isn't worth the extra cost. They ARE the same unit, just with a different graphic on the face.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Get a Solarmeter 6.2 , it's more useful for monitoring your UVB source. You actually the microW UVB/sq.cm so you know exactly how the source is performing.

The UV-index meters are OK, but will not tell you if the UVB level is decaying because of the bandwidth of the sensor and how it calculates UV-index.

Be careful buying off Amazon, you might have problems with repairs if it comes with a fault as it'll have to go back to Amazon who are not going to want to help you resolve the issue (and a known for selling seconds and refurbished as if brand new & in perfect condition , it's part of their marketing model , hence why they sometimes sell cheaper than the manufacturer or their distributers).
My advise for this reason is NEVER TRUST AMAZON.
BUY DIRECT from Solarmeter , never from a reseller.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 6.5 definitely let's you monitor if the uvb output is decaying.

The 6.2 isnt focused specifically on the wavelengths that produce vit d3 in the body. As francis has shown, the same 100mW uvb can have completely different meanings for vit d3 synthesis depending on the source of that 100mW. That was one of the problems with the early compact fluorescents. Their 100 mW reading was something like 5-10x more dangerous than the suns 100mW. The 6.5 gets rid of that issue by specifically targeting the shorter wavelengths for vit d3 synthesis.

In my opinion, the 6.2 should be the second meter you get, if you are going to buy a second one. And that's only to compare short wavelength makeup of your bulb to that of the sun's. But that's totally unnecessary for 99% of hobbyists. The other 1% are the nerds like me who like to see what's going on and do experiments with the lighting.

The listing OP posted is the solarmeter being sold from the manufacturer. It's not being sold by some random person. It definitely is coming from the factory.

The 6.5 is the best tool for the average hobbyist, and this is a pretty good price for it :)

-Brandon

VelcrosMom

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3gbexczt said:
Get a Solarmeter 6.2 , it's more useful for monitoring your UVB source. You actually the microW UVB/sq.cm so you know exactly how the source is performing.

The UV-index meters are OK, but will not tell you if the UVB level is decaying because of the bandwidth of the sensor and how it calculates UV-index.

Be careful buying off Amazon, you might have problems with repairs if it comes with a fault as it'll have to go back to Amazon who are not going to want to help you resolve the issue (and a known for selling seconds and refurbished as if brand new & in perfect condition , it's part of their marketing model , hence why they sometimes sell cheaper than the manufacturer or their distributers).
I chose the 6.5 Solarmeter based on the recommendation of Dr. Frances Baines, according to what I most want to accomplish - to be reasonably sure I'm providing Velcro a level of exposure that's safe, and having a unit that's specifically weighted (weighed?) to read the wavelengths that are most likely to help his body produce the d3 he needs. I know I didn't say that in a technically correct way, but that's my basic understanding of it and I trust the expert's opinion on that.

I also plan to use it to verify that the recommended distances I've been using between his basking site and the uvb light are optimal for my two setups:
(1) His viv - glass 36Lx18 x16.5H with the uvb light (Reptisun t5 HO 10.0 in a reflector fixture) on top of a metal mesh screen top
(2) The portable basking station I'm building for him with a hanging, adjustable height, reflective uvb tube fixture that has no mesh or other obstruction between the t5 10.0 and the dragon.
I'm building that (photos to come soon in a separate thread) because he won't be getting his usual 30- 40 minutes outside time in natural sunlight several days a week, now that the weather is changing. (boo)

Solarmeter has a video where they explain why they it's advantageous to have both meters and I would like to get a 6.2 as well at some point. But since the Reptisun t5 10 is a good light and I replace mine every 6 months currently, I'm not as concerned about rate of decay and such. However, if I take a reading with the 6.5 a specific distance from the center of the tube when the Reptisun is new (after the 100 hr burn-in period) I would think (if my thinking is correct) that as the bulb began to decay, that reading number, taken from the same distance, would go down? If that's true, that would really tell me all I need to know, wouldn't it, and I could adjust my basking distances accordingly?

I absolutely agree that caveat emptor applies when buying from any large online marketplace, and counterfeiters find ways to get in. That's why I called Solar Light and was assured that the meters sold by, and shipped from Amazon in that listing are indeed directly from them, the manufacturer - the exact same meters, same quality and with the same warranty and service as those being sold on their website. As to why the 6.5 & 6.5 r are currently on sale, when their other meters on Amazon are priced close to regular price, I didn't ask. Maybe an overstock situation? Who knows. I'm confident I got a great deal and should there ever be an issue, I know Solar Light would stand behind their product even on the unlikely chance that Amazon did not.

In my own experiences with Amazon I've always found that they stand behind what they sell 100% and correct any issues in a satisfactory manner with no questions asked. They do have an "Amazon Renewed" section of refreshed or reconditioned preowned items, but they are listed as such and not represented as being new. I've sent several gently used phones, tablets and a Kindle to them for that program in exchange for credit towards a new Kindle.

Well, now y'all see why I never posted in 5 + years. I can't reply without writing a "book" lol.
Plus it takes me all day because I'm constantly interrupted

Take care
Lacey

kingofnobbys":3gbexczt said:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
VelcrosMom":1kph7yhk said:
However, if I take a reading with the 6.5 a specific distance from the center of the tube when the Reptisun is new (after the 100 hr burn-in period) I would think (if my thinking is correct) that as the bulb began to decay, that reading number, taken from the same distance, would go down? If that's true, that would really tell me all I need to know, wouldn't it, and I could adjust my basking distances accordingly?

This is correct :)

VelcrosMom":1kph7yhk said:
I can't reply without writing a "book" lol.
Welcome to the club. I typically type out an essay, only to read back over it and delete half of it because I don't want to scare someone off LOL

FWIW i've had the same exact experience with Amazon. Nothing but great experiences. It might be different in other countries (i'm not sure) but I've never had a complaint.
In fact, when getting this most recent solarmeter, my wife accidently bought something completely different. It wasn't amazons fault, it was hers. In a matter of minutes we had a code to take to UPS to drop off the wrong item, and ship it back to them free of charge. All it cost me was a 5 minute drive. And the second I got back into my car from dropping it off, I had an email from amazon stating that they have update that i've dropped off the item, and that they will be crediting back my card. And I got my money back before they even got their item back I'm sure. And this was literally all our fault. Not amazons. They truly care about customer satisfaction which is partially why they were the first trillion dollar company i'm sure.

Anyways, I'm getting a bit ramble-y here, but just thought I'd throw in my experience with amazon since it got brought up. Really, not sure if it's different in other countries but I'd imagine not.

And like I said, I bought my 6.5 from amazon, from the same seller, and it came perfect and even with business cards and coupons for discounts on other meters.

This price is a decent deal :)

-Brandon

VelcrosMom

Original Poster
claudiusx":2culj7qg said:
VelcrosMom":2culj7qg said:
However, if I take a reading with the 6.5 a specific distance from the center of the tube when the Reptisun is new (after the 100 hr burn-in period) I would think (if my thinking is correct) that as the bulb began to decay, that reading number, taken from the same distance, would go down? If that's true, that would really tell me all I need to know, wouldn't it, and I could adjust my basking distances accordingly?

This is correct :)

VelcrosMom":2culj7qg said:
I can't reply without writing a "book" lol.
Welcome to the club. I typically type out an essay, only to read back over it and delete half of it because I don't want to scare someone off LOL

FWIW i've had the same exact experience with Amazon. Nothing but great experiences. It might be different in other countries (i'm not sure) but I've never had a complaint.
In fact, when getting this most recent solarmeter, my wife accidently bought something completely different. It wasn't amazons fault, it was hers. In a matter of minutes we had a code to take to UPS to drop off the wrong item, and ship it back to them free of charge. All it cost me was a 5 minute drive. And the second I got back into my car from dropping it off, I had an email from amazon stating that they have update that i've dropped off the item, and that they will be crediting back my card. And I got my money back before they even got their item back I'm sure. And this was literally all our fault. Not amazons. They truly care about customer satisfaction which is partially why they were the first trillion dollar company i'm sure.

Anyways, I'm getting a bit ramble-y here, but just thought I'd throw in my experience with amazon since it got brought up. Really, not sure if it's different in other countries but I'd imagine not.

And like I said, I bought my 6.5 from amazon, from the same seller, and it came perfect and even with business cards and coupons for discounts on other meters.

This price is a decent deal :)

-Brandon

Great. Thanks for verifying the method for determining decay with a 6.5 Solarmeter

I'm glad I'm not the only book writer lol

Wow! Yes, that was awesome service on Amazon's part -above and beyond for sure.

Mine comes tomorrow. Can hardly wait.

Yeah, as soon as I saw a number under 200 I got so happy. But then had to calm myself just long enough to verify that everything was legit lol

Lacey

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
6.5 response curve (calculates UV-index based on Diffey Erythemal Action Spectrum , at best an estimate of human skin to UV flux = the red "curve".)
solarmeter-6.png

6.5r response curve (calculates another model of Diffey Erythemal response again and comes with a chart for Fergassum Zones ( based on UV in the northern hemisphere = the red "curve". ).
solarmeter-6.png

6.2 response absolute UVB flux curve , peak sensitivity at 295nm (required UV spectrum to induce VitD3 sysnthesis).
solarmeter-6.png

Before you buy , my advise is be very aware of the differences between absolute UV flux measurements and UV-Index estimates (and the models used to calculate these).

IMO , an absolute flux reading in the correct spectral band is way better than any fudged index estimate.

BEStillz

This is kind of confusing. I want to get a meter but don’t want to spend the money to buy both the 6.2 and 6.5r. Does anyone know if the 6.5r will also let me know if the bulb needs to be changed. Will the uvb index be lower at a set distance when the bulb is going bad?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
BEStillz":195hcwod said:
This is kind of confusing. I want to get a meter but don’t want to spend the money to buy both the 6.2 and 6.5r. Does anyone know if the 6.5r will also let me know if the bulb needs to be changed. Will the uvb index be lower at a set distance when the bulb is going bad?

Get the 6.5. No need to get the 6.5r unless one is cheaper. The Only difference is the 6.5r has the ferguson zones stickered to the front of the unit.

The 6.5 will let you know when the bulb needs to be replaced. The UVI will continually drop with age and decay, so once it drops below where you want it, you can replace it.

More info if you are so inclined:
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=250316

-Brandon

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":ipu09zwy said:
IMO , an absolute flux reading in the correct spectral band is way better than any fudged index estimate.

Hi KoN,

Taking into account your statement above, is there an expectation that the failure mode of these bulbs would have an impact on specific portions of the spectrum rather than an overall flux reduction? I understand your preference in meters if the context is to evaluate different bulbs' ability to provide the optimal range of frequencies for beardie health, but if this is a known quantity (from previous testing at the manufacturer, for instance) + an assumption that the failure mode of a lamp is uniform across the spectrum, then shouldn't a simple monitoring of flux change be sufficient for folks to decide when it's time to change their tubes?

I know you like to geek out on this sort of thing, so I was wondering if you've noticed anything that would suggest that my failure mode assumption is faulty, only valid above a certain output/power threshold, etc. I have a somewhat related interest in plasmas and radiation, so curious.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Y'all need to put this stuff in layman's terms for those of us who are not geeky can understand it. I am not an astrophysicist nor am I a chemist or am I a biologist I'm just a dragon owner that works on a farm.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Gormagon":qskw9nvv said:
Y'all need to put this stuff in layman's terms for those of us who are not geeky can understand it. I am not an astrophysicist nor am I a chemist or am I a biologist I'm just a dragon owner that works on a farm.
LOL, sorry about that Gormagon! My inner science nerd sometimes escapes his room. Back to the books, poindexter! :study: :whip:

Basically asking KoN (if he's tested it), when a UV bulb starts going bad, does it reduce just a certain range of the UV light, or all of it at once? If the answer's 'all at once', I was suggesting that either meter being discussed would probably be fine for us to use to make sure our beardies are getting enough UV because both would measure output intensity (flux). But if it does affect certain parts of the range differently, then I understand why he prefers one meter over the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom