Blanket or no?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Blanket or no?

Postby BeardieGuy24 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:36 pm

I have heard people say they have blankets for their bearded dragons. If I keep the cage's temperature the same at night, then can the beardie overheat?
BeardieGuy24
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Blanket or no?

Postby Moon4wolfgirl » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:38 pm

they are cold blooded, so they don't get warmed up by a blanket, sometimes it can make them colder if you wrap then fully up. but its fine to have a blanket in there or wrap them up, they wont over heat.
Last edited by Moon4wolfgirl on Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moon4wolfgirl
Hatchling Poster

Postby claudiusx » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi there,

Blankets don't work the same for dragons as it does for humans :)
Since they don't produce their own body heat, there really isn't much of a concern with them overheating under one at night. Not unless it's directly over a heat source, but even then, they'd likely just move.

I like "blankets". I had one dragon who would literally not sleep unless she could get under her "blanket" (which was just a wash cloth).
She would either stare at me with tired eyes until I covered her with it, or she would try herself to nudge her head into it.

See if yours likes it. If not, oh well :) It's part of the fun of having a dragon - learning their likes and dislikes.
BeardieGuy24 wrote:If I keep the cage's temperature the same at night, then can the beardie overheat?

I wouldn't keep the temperature the same at night as you do during the day. Darkness and cool temps are an important part of their husbandry and cycle. I wouldn't add any heat at night unless your house is dropping below 60. A cooling down period is important at night for them.

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby KarrieRee » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:59 pm

They like soft things -- so a fleece blanket in their hide would be nice for them --- I have one in both my tanks for my dragons- Hiccup sleeps in his hide on it but not all the time --- as of now he is brumating on the tile in his rock hide go figure ----- I would of thought he would of moved to his platform/ cave w/ the blanket and some thick paper towels for burrowing but nope hes in the rock :roll:
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby BeardieGuy24 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:26 pm

ok, thanks for all the info!
BeardieGuy24
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:25 pm

Blankies for beardies is an American thing.

Not necessary.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, juvenile Cheakie (M) 21Oct19
Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:58 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Blankies for beardies is an American thing.

Not necessary.

But not harmful. Just a different sort of burrowing option. :0)
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Hatchling Poster

Postby Drache613 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:23 pm

Hello,

I think a lot of people provide soft fleece blankies for their dragons to provide creature
comforts. :D I believe that they deserve the best.
So it is simply your decision.

Tracie
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion