Which would be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hiccup has gone into brumation --- which would be better for hydration --- misting him where he is at or pulling him from tank and placing in a bath? I have shut his UVB off along w/ the reg hh bulb but have left the basking light on and turned the CHE on to leave on over nite etc---- that will keep his tank around 70 in the over nites---
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually take Darwin out once a week or so. I weigh him, give him some time under a portable basking light to poop if he needs to, offer some drips of water for him to lick up if he wants, then I put him back in his tank and let him go back to sleep if that's what he wants.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I use a small spray bottle to gently drip /trickle water on my guy's snout. If possible I just tuck some waded paper towel under the chin so there's no leftover floor puddle. Other than that I leave them to sleep for at least 2 -3 weeks at a time if they are really solidly sleeping. Years ago I used to let mine sleep straight through for 2 -3 months with no interruption like they do in nature and they were fine that way as well but now I offer hydration just in case they want it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
He was actually out yesterday so the basking light was on and I took him out gave him a bath which he actually took a couple of licks of water which is unusual second time he has done this and I weighed him he was 2 grams less from when I weighed him last hes at 472- tried to feed him didnt eat - basked for a while on the log and on the floor of tank and went to bed about 6 30 or so -- how much weight are they allowed to lose if any during brumation an estimate is fine--- something I can go on before being alarmed
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He may do a slow down without going in to full on brumation [ sleeping solid with not much movement ] They can lose 20 or more grams , a few grams is negligible .

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Hi Karrie, I have been wondering about the same thing.

I had a bearded dragon growing up who would brumate like the dead, never woke up to drink. Now I have Devlyn who doesn't drink water normally. For Devlyn my vet told me that less than 10% weight loss for brumation was okay, however, Devlyn was a little fat starting for her age/length for brumation. At or over 10% I was supposed to call my vet and ask for an appointment. I've taken her out once a week for a bath and she doesn't drink. Drip water on her face she doesn't drink. Mist her face, no drink.

Maybe you vet has a percent weight change they can tell you over the phone so you can skip going into the office.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for the response AHBD and Dorgo--- I will keep an eye on his weight --- since hes 472 grams around 50 grams would be around 10%-- I hope he does not lose that amount of weight -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom