Bearded Dragon in My Classroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlggator

I currently have my juvenile bearded dragon in at my home. I am getting him used to me and my family and used to being held. I am a high school science teacher. My plan was that when he gets a little older and used to being handled, to begin brining him into my classroom. I would set up another vivarium for him there and take him in my room 2 to 3 days a week.

How do you think he would handled the change of going back and forth on some days? I am going to try to set up the vivariums so they are essentially the same, but I know he will know the difference.

Is there a way to make that work without stressing him out too much?

Opinions please on if and how to make it work for him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
they seem to go thru relocation stress when ever they are moved so I am not sure how that would work being transported to and from w/ only being in one tank for that time period of 2-3 times per week - I think myself would leave him in one tank or another --- i will let some one else comment on this ---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

At first it will most likely take him some time to get used to it. But once it becomes a routine and he knows what to expect, he should settle into it.

You'll just have to pay attention to him and see how he is acting with the moves. And from there make a judgement call as to whether or not this is suitable for him.

Some dragons seem to do real well with things like that, while others dont.

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
claudiusx":1k799g52 said:
Hi there,

At first it will most likely take him some time to get used to it. But once it becomes a routine and he knows what to expect, he should settle into it.

You'll just have to pay attention to him and see how he is acting with the moves. And from there make a judgement call as to whether or not this is suitable for him.

Some dragons seem to do real well with things like that, while others dont.

+1 to this advice... I did my master’s thesis on companion animals in the classroom, and would MUCH rather see a dragon brought to and from school than see one left permanently in the classroom over the weekend, where fumes from cleaning solutions and temperatures can be problematic. If you do leave your dragon in school overnight, get in touch with your custodian to find out what might pose a risk for him overnight... cleaning procedures, lowered thermostats, that sort of thing. Also make sure that there isn’t some hard nose in an authority position that will make a fuss about the lights; I was told I couldn’t have a beardie in my classroom because the lights got too hot and would pose a risk of burns to the students and a possible fire hazard as well. Nonsense, but you can’t reason with some people!

Good luck!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd leave him at home.

He'll be happier.

If you must have a class reptile, I'd get another who will become the classroom pet.
But again , I don't think a noisy classroom is a suitable place to keep a pet reptile , and there's the student distraction factor too ( kids are hard enough to control and keep on task ).
Plus unless this is a class room that only you teach in , there is no guarantee the colleagues will bother even looking out for and protecting the reptile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom