Buying a pre-owned beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Gormagon":2wrqzc4u said:
do these dragons on CL deserve any less a chance at a better life than those from a breeder?
Of course not, but that wasn't the issue/question.

I think being a first-timer is difficult enough (and can sometimes be downright discouraging; ask anyone who's lost their first--even when starting out with a healthy one) without stacking the deck against oneself by taking on a pet with known problems or unknown history. Too many times they wind up back on CL--or worse. (There are some good reasons why there are so many articles & vids of "Things I wish I'd known before getting a bearded dragon", e.g. "rude awakenings")
See also:
Things I wish I'd known before getting a bearded dragon (Google)
Things I wish I'd known before getting a bearded dragon (YouTube)
N.B. Search results don't match queries precisely, but close enough to get the point across. YMMV

Gormagon":2wrqzc4u said:
I love these creatures and, will do "what I can, when I can" to help them. Everything is not black and white, there are grey areas in the dragon world.... I find myself in those areas at times!
That's laudable.

What questions have you asked--or do you ask--of BD sellers on CL?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Mr. Spek, the fact that the first link I called out that had 2 glaring mistakes right off the bat shows that anyone can gather a bit of info and make up a blog,care sheet, etc. A forum like this one HAS replies from breeders and at times from vets. The experts here have helped and even saved many dragons and if you were here long enough you'd see that. This is the go to forum for beardie owners. As an example, many persons come here with a lethargic beardie. A few important questions are asked by experienced members such as....what type of lights do you use, what + how much is the dragon eating, is it pooing, etc ? Those persons can then be referred to proper husbandry and this has helped many a beardie in that way.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, I think we can all agree that every dragon deserves a shot and a chance at a happy home :)

Everyone has different reasons for owning dragons.
Some get one because they think they are cool.
Some get them because they want a friend.
Some get them because they just love reptiles.
Some get them to rescue them from prior circumstances.

What we need to remember is it's not up to us to dictate why a person should get a dragon, or encourage them to go after a dragon they may or may not want.

A lot of owners simply like buying the newest and fanciest dragons. A lot of owners also only buy rescues. And a lot simply dont care, and just want a buddy. But neither side should look down on the other. We are all beardie owners and we all have our own preferences.

I think everyone has said their thoughts quite nicely. I do see it as a potential stacked deck against a new owner with little experience, and I also agree that every dragon deserves a shot. But not every owner is the right owner to give them that shot.

But luckily, that's one of the things this community is here for. We can all get together and help each other, and help these rescues. Even if it's just via words on a screen.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":2x9pmqxw said:
Everyone has different reasons for owning dragons.
IF (Big "If" :) ) that is in response to my observation...
MrSpectrum":2x9pmqxw said:
Perhaps the most important question you can ask is the one you need to ask yourself:
Why do you want a bearded dragon?
...then I believe I've been misconstrued. I thought it should/would have been clear that "ask yourself" meant that the question was rhetorical; one of self-reflection. I wasn't asking for--nor expecting--an answer. The OP was wondering what question s/he should ask when s/he goes to check out the beardie. I didn't see anything wrong with--or very far afield from--asking oneself that question, and I still don't; I've asked myself the very same thing several times.

IF not, then... :lol:

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
What I was saying was not pointed at anyone, it was nearly a "broad spectrum" statement.
My feelings about breeders "reputable or not" is that, as exquisite and, beautiful some of them are they are not a natural dragon. Breeders through fancy names on them to gain exposure and, out do their competition. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but, popping them out like expensive "skittle morphs" only shortens their life spans from what I have read about them. I would much rather have a common dragon than one with 20 names behind its breeding. I may someday own one with those names behind it but only as a rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom