Away From Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
Anyone have experience being away from their dragon for extended periods of time, say at least 5 months? How'd they react to you not being around? How'd they react upon your return?

Note: Mine is well taken care of in my absence.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As long as your dragon is being handled on a regular basis, even if not by you, then he should
have good memory of you & will still want to be handled.
They have a great memory of their owners especially if it's a positive experience for them.

Tracie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Drache613":36vur6zh said:
They have a great memory of their owners especially if it's a positive experience for them.
It's been shown that reptiles possess a degree of spatial memory, and the ability to learn from observation (of other BDs). They also seem to exhibit preferences for some people over/more than others (though there is reluctance to call it "love"). Tortoises have demonstrated long term memories (up to 18 months has been tested), but tortoises aren't lizards.

I haven't been able to find (so far) any credible articles/studies regarding such long term memories in lizards, let alone bearded dragons. Can you (or anyone) cite any?

THX

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've been away for several weeks at a time (nowhere near 5 months though). Based on reports from the caretaker and watching the webcam, he tends to act more sleepy and appears to mope around a bit. He perks up when I return. I'm not sure if that's due to me as much as a return to his normal routine. Being away doesn't seem to cause any long term issues though, and they get back to their usual routine pretty quickly (Based on my limited observations).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd tend to agree with Coopers observations. However the longest I've ever been away from my dragons would be capped at 2 week stints, so it's not a very long time, but it was always business as usual when i'd come back.

CooperDragon":189pm59d said:
he tends to act more sleepy and appears to mope around a bit
That is an interesting observation though. I do feel that adults (especially as they get older) get really stuck to a schedule, and they like that schedule and they dislike change. At least that's been my interpretation of older dragons.

Hmm.. That must mean I'm starting to become an older dragon too I suppose lol!

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not really seasonal. Even during active months he will glass surf for a while but eventually just give up and either sit on his log and stare or go into a hide and mope. In the days after he surfs less and then stops. When I'm home he doesn't stop and will do this every morning until he is let out. During brumation season he just sleeps through either way.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
According to the one who's taken over full care for her, she hasn't really changed in my absence of 6 weeks now. Her routine w/o me is roughly the same, simply has her second feeding pushed back by 2-3 hours.

Five months was an extremely pessimistic estimate, and it looks like I'll only have to go another 4-6 weeks before she'll be with me again.

Only thing I've noted in the last 6 weeks is that she does react to my voice over the phone, and I was able to visit for one day in which she became very energetic.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's sweet to hear ahead gets energetic when she sees you :)

Glad you wont have to be away as long as you first thought.

-Brandon

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Downside to when I get her back... she'll be moving houses and tanks. I'm not sure if I should transition her to new tank at old house, new house in old tank, or new tank at new house at once :?: :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom