Random Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarrenG

None of these are pressing, but I'm just curious about some things.

One: will bearded dragon skin be wrinkly if they lose weight? I know Warren G isn't dehydrated because I actually squirt water into his mouth and also have started bathing him daily as I'm trying to train him to poop in there instead of in his tank. I currently work from home but will be starting a job next month back in an office and since he likes to crap in his basking spot, I don't want him flopping all up in it while I'm gone. He did lose a little weight recently, though, because I started feeding him phoenix worms and then when I ran out, he decided that nothing else was good enough and wouldn't eat a single other thing - no greens, no crickets, no fruit, nothing. Would just lick it and then turn his head away and close his eyes like a little a-hole. I'm wondering if he just lost some weight and now his skin is loose? Discuss.

Two: do bearded dragon farts smell? Weird question, I know. I had Warren sitting on my shoulder asleep last night, and I kept getting wafts of poop smell. Was wondering if he's just an sbd sleep farter like so many humans I know, or does he smell because of some other reason? Not sure, but like I said he's been getting a bath every day and not pooping in his tank, which I keep fairly clean, so that can't be it.

Three: how long can I safely leave Warren's greens in his tank? He used to scarf the whole bunch right when I put them in his tank for dinner, but now he's decided that he prefers to eat them in the morning when they're all wilted. That also leads me to a question about how old he is. I know I was told that as adults, they'll often just stop eating as much on their own, so I was wondering if perhaps he was older than we were told when we got him (from Petsmart...I know I know, but he needed to be rescued from the hell that was his tiny ass tank shared with another almost dead dragon) and has actually now reached adulthood and, therefore, stopped eating as much? He's about 18 inches long right now and only really doing patchy sheds here and there whereas he was shedding constantly...used to try to eat everything in sight, even a clump of dog hair that he found on the floor. Now he still wants to eat, just not as voraciously.

Here's a pic of him looking like a fat chonk monster from a week ago and since I know someone is going to ask:
40 gal tank
100 basking spot (he likes the temp on the lower side, won't bask if it's above that)
80 cool side
Tube uvb lamp
Has a hide
Tile and paper towel substrate
Diet now consists of phoenix worms with collards or dandelion greens and some
green bean/carrot/pea/pepper/apple/mango/plum variety
Swapped over to a spray multi-vitamin that also has calcium and d3
Don't worry, don't really use the analog therm, have a digital one.

105040-3193740980.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

1. it can be. It can also just be wrinkly from the position they are in at the current time. Skin really isn't a good indicator for hydration, the urates are. :)

2. Well, I'm not sure i've ever smelled dragon fart LOL but im sure it definitely has the capacity to smell! Dragons can get gassy, and that air passing through the intestines can definitely pick up some odor.

3. Letting them wilt is fine. For awhile one of mine would only eat them once they were dry and crunchy!

How long have you had him? He definitely looks close to adulthood to me.

-Brandon

WarrenG

Original Poster
claudiusx":3fg1kmpt said:
Hi there,

1. it can be. It can also just be wrinkly from the position they are in at the current time. Skin really isn't a good indicator for hydration, the urates are. :)

2. Well, I'm not sure i've ever smelled dragon fart LOL but im sure it definitely has the capacity to smell! Dragons can get gassy, and that air passing through the intestines can definitely pick up some odor.

3. Letting them wilt is fine. For awhile one of mine would only eat them once they were dry and crunchy!

How long have you had him? He definitely looks close to adulthood to me.

-Brandon

So would you say to take them out after 24 hours? Longer? I just don't want to leave them in there for too long if they're going to harm him, but I'm also very big on not being wasteful and don't want to throw out food that is still good. You'd think I was raised during the depression or something, but really I just have too many feelings about starving people and animals.

We got him in April, and they said they THOUGHT he was just a few months old. So who really knows how old he is because I don't trust anything the 9 year olds at Petsmart say. He was definitely small, but I also read that they'll only grow to the size their conditions allow? And he grew FAST when we brought him home but then stopped growing all of a sudden. Like he got to 18" and then thought, "ok, that's sufficient."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom