2h Car trip with my dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alupe

I need to travel in a few weeks for a weekend away due to work and I'm unsure how this will effect my dragon. I was hoping you lovely lot could answer a few questions for me. She's currently a year and a half years old and going through the gravid stages (currently gravid with another clutch). The trip isn't until the end of the month so I wanted to make sure I knew everything before hand.

First off, traveling in a car. I will be accompanied by a friend who will be able to check on her during the 2 hour trip. How long can she safely go without UVB or a heat bulb? Even with unforeseen circumstances it shouldn't be longer than 4 hours before I can get her a temporary setup with lights. I was thinking a travel cage with a heat mat?

What about the journey its self, do dragons like cars? The last thing I want to do is stress her out.

Will she suffer relocations stress in the new place and if so, how do I deal with it? I'll be leaving the friday and returning back home on the monday, so really it's only 3 days outside her usual habitat.

If she is (still) gravid at this time, will this stress her out/make her not want to lay?

Anything I should be aware of?

Thank you :wink:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
OK, first, for your own peace of mind, I'd like you to take a half-hour or so and read up on the weather & climate in the Australian Outback. They do have inclement weather--often for days at a time, with overcast days (little/no UVB), rain, cold, and sometimes even snow in some areas--and wild BDs don't die.

Before going further, is this clutch fertile? That too may have some bearing.

Alupe

Original Poster
Thanks for your response MrSpectrum, I appreciate it. I suppose I often look over the fact they survive in the wild in harsh weathers without human intervention, I guess I just worry a lot. She just means a lot to me and I'd never forgive myself for neglecting her basic needs. :silent:

But to answer your question, no the clutch isn't fertile. She's just going through the motions of laying unfertilized eggs.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Then I don't think you have too much to be concerned about, but I'll defer to keepers of female BDs. :wink:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

+1 to her being perfectly fine for a car ride :)
Especially that short of a trip.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They all act a bit differently but based on my experience I agree with the others. They do just fine at normal car temps. Even just a box with a soft towel and blanket to lay on should do the trick. I like using a pet carrier that straps into the seatbelt though. My dragon has been on several long trips without a problem (including two 9hr rides just this past week). It's a good idea to carry some paper towels and cleaning supplies just in case of poop. You don't really need additional heat, especially at this time of year. I only bother with hand warmers under the towel if it's winter and I stop for a while to go into a restaurant or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom