Opinions... Citrus or Orange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffany30

Hi, I purchased a baby Bearded Dragon last Saturday. I know she is a Normal scale Hypo but that's as much as I know. I know her color will change as she grows. Can you tell what color she would be considered?

103864-7601312166.jpg
103864-3664857387.jpg
103864-813702727.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Her color is really just what it is. If she looks orange then shes orange :)
Some people and breeders like to call their dragons citrus if they have yellow and orange tones. Color is not really a morph or "mutation" so you really can describe your dragons color any way you see fit :)

When they are that young they usually do tend to change quite a bit as they get older. The best bet would be to see what the parents look like.
All that being said, she is absolutely stunning :)

-Brandon

Tiffany30

Original Poster
Thank you. Sometimes she looks more peachy instead of orange in color. She came from petsmart so I'll never know what her parents looked like. As long as she's healthy that's all that matters. She has a few black spots around one of her eyes. I'm not sure if that's from crickets biting her or the other babies they had in the tank with her. I'm keeping a close eye on it though.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well shes very pretty for a petsmart baby :)
Weve seen some amazing looking dragons come from petsmart, it just depends on who the local breeder for the area is.

Hope we all get to see her grow up here! :)
Let us know if the eye issue develops into anything. I'm sure it will be fine though.

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Tiffany30":2b3zmkfc said:
Hi, I purchased a baby Bearded Dragon last Saturday. I know she is a Normal scale Hypo but that's as much as I know. I know her color will change as she grows. Can you tell what color she would be considered?

Wow, what a little beauty! I’m no expert, so I’d defer to Brandon... if she looks orange, she’s orange. Whatever color she is, she sure is pretty though!

As a fellow purchaser of a “big box store” dragon, I feel for you in wanting to know a color. I’ve had my Figment two weeks now and still can’t decide what color he is, but I think he may be getting ready for a back shed, and then I’ll have a better idea.

Enjoy your pretty little lady- post lots of pictures!

-Chris

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Gotta say, most--nearly all--of the baby/juvenile BDs we've seen at 2 reptile shows now--have been some shade of citrus/orange. Must be the "in" color this season... :lol:

I keep telling the breeders that all I want is a regular old BD--no morphs, no fancy-schmancy colors/markings (though I'll admit some have been striking). They look at me like I have a tree growing out of my head, and nod, "Uh-huh."

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
97951-4006794482.jpg
here is Hiccup when we first got him - he was black and grey
97951-8911577570.jpg
here is the color of Hiccup now- this was in March
nothing like the color when I brought him home
I was told he was a orange citrus tiger after the breader told me he was a Red Leatherback --- Really?
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
KarrieRee":3jyklcyc said:
here is Hiccup when we first got him - he was black and grey....
....here is the color of Hiccup now....nothing like the color when I brought him home
That really is quite a difference!

Tiffany30

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I love how spunky she is. She's currently getting ready to shed her body, legs, and head. It's like opening a box of chocolates on Valentine's day. You haven't a clue what they'll be. ?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
True, and while the parents had some role in determining color, genes can skip generations, and mutations have to start someplace. We've also seen babies of a variety of colors from the same clutches.
IMO, healthy is still the #1 criterion.

YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom