How can I tell if it’s a GG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NibblezBeardie

Hatchling Member
Hi I was wondering, my baby is about 13” long with a tail nip and she’s 9 months old as of Sept. 2019. Is this a normal size? I’ve heard usually that sub-adults are smaller than this. Is it true? Thanks

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

They all grow at different rates, just like us humans! :)

As far as the german giant gene, I'd say at this point it's pretty washed out and we don't really have any true german giants anymore. That's just my opinion. I know Dachiu still produces dragons that they state come from GG lines, but we haven't seen a true GG in a long time as far as i'm aware.

We do see large dragons occasionally, but this doesn't necessarily make them GGs.

NibblezBeardie":36f7db56 said:
Is this a normal size? I’ve heard usually that sub-adults are smaller than this. Is it true?
That really depends I suppose on how much of the tail is missing. For instance, I have two girls who are around 3 months old right now that are about 13 inches long. And my 8 (or 7 I forgot... :oops: ) month old is around 18 I believe.

But like I said, they all grow at different rates :)

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":2cx6rdx4 said:
As far as the german giant gene, I'd say at this point it's pretty washed out and we don't really have any true german giants anymore.
That's consistent with everything I've read, and early on, I was very interested in possibly getting a GG. But between the gene/morph being diluted to the point of non-existence, and the fact that GGs were allegedly only an inch or 2 longer than "standard" dragons (some still grow to those lengths anyway, even without GG genes) I stopped thinking about it.

What I really want is as healthy a BD as I can get from the git-go.

YMMV

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Nibbles, that's a decent size for a 9 month old with a tail nip but beardies can actually be over 20" at that age. As for G.G, the genetics would be present in a large population of b.d.'s because they ARE part of the genetic history of our present day dragons. They were only a few inches longer than average beardies but have been bred in to most other lines of dragons back in the 90's and genetics don't disappear, they just get diluted. There are humans that only grow in the 5'2 -'5'9" range and others that get to be in the 6'2 - 6'9" range [ although not quite as common as average ] So there will always be dragons that grow only to 17-18" while others grow 22"-25 ".

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
AHBD":11043cgf said:
There are humans that only grow in the 5'2 -'5'9" range and others that get to be in the 6'2 - 6'9" range [ although not quite as common as average ] So there will always be dragons that grow only to 17-18" while others grow 22"-25 ".
Yup. As I'm often reminded, half of the human race is below average (except Lake Wobegone, where ALL the children are above average). :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom