Ideas For What To Do With Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo15

Hey everyone. Today I was chilling out with my beardie, Apollo. I enjoy when he comes out, but I want to try something new. He usually hangs out on my back where I can't reach him :lol: What do you do with your beardie? I would love to try out what you do so I can see what Apollo likes. Thanks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I put my beardie on the back of the chair and let him look out the window-- most people do that or take them outside --- I dont take my beardie out as he is terrified of the birds and I have a lot of birds in my yard so he is a inside beardie- he sometimes sits on the threshold of my screen door looking out to the front yard - sometimes when I have him sit on me he watches TV and looks around
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
KarrieRee":24emxuv6 said:
...sometimes when I have him sit on me he watches TV and looks around
Just out of curiosity, is there any reaction if/when he sees another dragon on the TV? :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes not seen another dragon on TV or anywhere else--- at this point he thinks hes the only dragon in existence------------- no head bobbing or arm waving and hes about 19 1/2 months old
Karrie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
My guys tend to stay glued to my chest if I put them there initially, so I walk around the house doing chores, take them outside for a supervised walkabout in our fenced/walled back yard, watch TV, and have the occasional drive to the vet. Some people take theirs on road-trips and into pet-friendly stores, too.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
First, I'm not suggesting anyone's doing anything wrong/improper; you all know your BDs better than anyone. I'd just like to relate a little anecdote, FWIW.

[Confession}
Back before we got a cat, we discussed it with our veterinarian (as I've also recently done before getting a BD). After a few routine questions about why we wanted a cat, etc., his advice was to make it an indoor-only cat, i.e. not let it outside to prevent all the possible outdoor hazards (cat fights, traffic, unfriendly dogs & humans, accidental poisoning, other diseases, etc. etc.) Note: This too was a personal decision; other cat-owners may have differing views, and that's fine. Anyhoo, things went along fine for the first 1-2 years. Then, being young, dumb, etc., I thought I'd try taking her out--supervised. She'd sit on my shoulders, wrapped around my neck, while I walked around the neighborhood.

This was a dumbass thing to do. Whilst I thought kittie enjoyed being outside experiencing the world, she was--in fact--agoraphobic, and I was too naïve to recognize it. Once I did, I never put her though that again.
[/Confession]

What's this to do with BDs? Whatever you try with your BD to "enrich" them, PLEASE be vigilant, and watch carefully for signs of stress. That's all. We all want them safe, happy, and long-lived.

If you're not (yet) aware of all the signs/symptoms, google: bearded dragon signs of stress or search the archives here.

Thanks

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Devlyn may be a weirdo, I found out by accident if a throw pillow from the couch was on the floor, during some supervised floor time, she jumps onto them rather than walking around. So it is some good dragon exercise. Plus I like how she stops and thinks at the pillow. She likes little jumps.

Window watching.

I've done short car trips with her because she doesn't show stress (white belly and bright colors and looking around). Like to the pet store to look around. I go when it is not busy.

I've done little art projects like getting pictures in frames on the floor so she can crawl around, and eventually crawl away to a window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom