New home...lazy beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jauly

So our home was finally finished and we moved from the tiny granny house on the property to the main house. It's been about a month now and my beardie is like a brand new dragon (not sure in a good way though).
Home differences:
Granny house: Much hotter(I live in Cali where it's 108-114f average from May to September, no AC unit, used a small window cooler, kept house at around 90 on hot days), less light due to lack of windows, small area...
Beardies home @ granny house: 105f-110f (I used a 125W Exo Terra Solar Glow all in one) on basking side and high 80's to low 90's on cool side depending on weather.
Beardies personality in granny house: Active, huge appetite, rarely ever had a black beard, more alert, dug every where, couldn't keep still.

New home: Much cooler (84f without running the swamp cooler and around mid 67-70+f with it on, it's located at the other end of the home), much more light because we've more windows, bigger and open.
Beardies home @ new house: basking side 95-98f pretty much all of the time (I use a 160W Exo Terra Solar Glow all in one, so it's UVB and UVA, up'd my wattage due to this home being a lot cooler inside), I've no other lights because there's plenty of lighting, cool side 83f on average.
Beardies personality in new house: Stays on cool side all of the time lounging on his net whether awake or sleeping, first week he ate well enough yet since then nothing not even his favorite veggie spreads, doesn't run around anymore, no black beard, doesn't dig anymore, he's just very lazy and that is something he's never been before.

Is there any tips someone who's gone through a move can give me, is this normal? Maybe he enjoyed the hotter enclosure, should I add more heat? Or maybe it was too hot that's why he was more active and digging and now he can finally be cool? I dunno. Also he goes into brumation always during the month of October. I'll include a pic of both him and his enclosure. I did force him to come hang out in front of the window on my desk xD (Note his enclosure is currently on the floor until I am able to build him a new one or find someone to pay lol, also he's 2yrs old)

image1.jpg

image0.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not a fan of all in one bulbs -- I dont have experience w/ them and have my basking light and UVB separate -- I guess first I would get him off the floor - they like to be able to see and socialize and being on the floor does not allow for that--- I then would work on getting the lights replaced--- he might be going thru some relocation stress since you moved as well but I am not sure about the odd behavior now -- could be the lighting some one else is gonna haft to weigh in on this one--- and its good your getting a bigger tank because my guess hes outgrown it --- is there a hide in the tank ? I dont see one - if not I would invest in getting him a hide--- Petsmart has nice decor for dragons--
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The UVB may be too intense under the light. What you might try first is to raise the bulb and see how that goes. Maybe another 4-6'' up and see how he reacts. If he starts moving toward it more, then you could maybe add a heat projector bulb next to it to bump the heat and see how that does. He looks healthy which is a good sign. Still best to sort the lighting in a way he likes it.

Jauly

Original Poster
KarrieRee":30n43iao said:
I am not a fan of all in one bulbs -- I dont have experience w/ them and have my basking light and UVB separate -- I guess first I would get him off the floor - they like to be able to see and socialize and being on the floor does not allow for that--- I then would work on getting the lights replaced--- he might be going thru some relocation stress since you moved as well but I am not sure about the odd behavior now -- could be the lighting some one else is gonna haft to weigh in on this one--- and its good your getting a bigger tank because my guess hes outgrown it --- is there a hide in the tank ? I dont see one - if not I would invest in getting him a hide--- Petsmart has nice decor for dragons--
Karrie
His hide is the rock under his net...he likes to dig under things and so forth reason there's a log in front...but he never uses his hides, even for brumation I move him into it. He has to be able to see me, he watches me move around my house and will pace his enclosure/scratch at the glass constantly until I come back in and sit at my desk. And yes I agree on the bigger home, his new place will be built taller and with layers giving him plenty of room. And as for the heat he doesn't have enough. I found my thermometer and his basking area is in the low 90's. So I'll have to figure out a way to get him more heat without putting lights all over heating his entire home.

Jauly

Original Poster
CooperDragon":u75hg3k4 said:
The UVB may be too intense under the light. What you might try first is to raise the bulb and see how that goes. Maybe another 4-6'' up and see how he reacts. If he starts moving toward it more, then you could maybe add a heat projector bulb next to it to bump the heat and see how that does. He looks healthy which is a good sign. Still best to sort the lighting in a way he likes it.
Yeah I'll give this a go...because today when I tested his heat, it's in the low 90's. So I'll def be getting him a heat projector. Must be an odd change for him because at the other home because it was so hot in our house during the summer his house was never under 100f.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom