Clint's Reptiles & Däv Kaufman

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Clint Laidlaw of Clint's Reptiles and Däv Kaufman of Dāv Kaufman's Reptile Adventures recently released a pair of... buddy videos(?) that might be of interest here.

27 Rad Facts About Bearded Dragons - Dāv Kaufman and Clint's Reptiles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHpqy4beA0

CLINT’S REPTILES TOP FAVORITE REPTILES! (and surprise herping!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZlSPsXnGk

Only the first is exclusively BD-related, but I thought they were both pretty good. I learned quite a few interesting tidbits about BDs I hadn't heard/read before. Can't say I agreed with everything--one or two things just didn't follow (like the claim that BDs are very social(?) WHA :shock: )

..but decide for yourselves. YMMV

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I watched it last night.

Däv makes some good points and he definitely has some knowledge of a lot of different herps. Honestly I thought he did much better in this video than he did in his bearded dragon outback adventure one. In the sense of not being so polarizing if that makes sense.

It was an enjoyable video, I wish they would have gotten into the morphs they are breeding in australia like he said.

His comment about uv is what interests me the most though. The comment about the dragons being almost diurnal in the summer due to the intense heat of the day. Which completely makes sense.

Also stands to reason why it's not necessarily acceptable to base what we do in our enclosures off of noon time summer uv exposure. They simply just dont expose themselves to that much sun when its that intense. And we really are never gonna know exactly how much time they spend in the wild st certain levels until an experiment is done where uvi meters are implanted onto them.
I believe we will find exactly what francis has been trying to say, "climate does NOT equal microclimate."

Anyways I'm super off topic and rambling lol.

I did enjoy the video though and I tend to enjoy clints videos to a point. I feel he tends to run on a bit...
Hmm maybe I'm projecting LOL.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I watched those last night. Overall pretty good.

Also thought the "very social" comment was odd. That seemed like anthropomorphizing to me. Being able to communicate that they want to either fight or submit or mate is too basic to be a social animal.

But then there was a nice point at how beardies are more intelligent then what people may think. Learning through observation of other dragons, makes sense to me since they are literally mute and communicate through body language. I would argue they are not social by nature, but put up with humans very well who bring food to them and give them hides and walls to keep predators out. Smart enough to differentiate between people and know their person is a safe person for them.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2vw40xxc said:
I watched it last night.
Me too, but it was just as I was drifting off... to... :sleepy2:

Honestly I thought he did much better in this video than he did in his bearded dragon outback adventure one. In the sense of not being so polarizing if that makes sense.
Me too (though it's been a while--I don't recall the polarizing part). Guess I should watch it again. I do remember the parts showing the terrain--in fact I snip-clipped some as stills for reference/inspiration, but I don't recall seeing all that much free sand. Looked more to me like a (don't know the geological term) mix of clay & sand with lots of flat sandstone. YMMV.

It was an enjoyable video, I wish they would have gotten into the morphs they are breeding in australia like he said.
For me, that'd be like watching vids of Sungazers. I want one--coolest looking zards I've ever seen (along with thorny devils) but I'll never be able to actually have/raise one. I'm OK with that; the reasons are sound, but it does seem like "forbidden fruit". :roll: YMMV.

And we really are never gonna know exactly how much time they spend in the wild st certain levels until an experiment is done where uvi meters are implanted onto them.
In light of the thread on harnesses, I think a "strap-on" might suffice. :D
Sorry, I'm blanking on "francis". :?

I did enjoy the video though and I tend to enjoy clints videos to a point. I feel he tends to run on a bit...
Wait... What... WHO tends to run on a bit :lol:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was just about to say the part about them learning was very interesting too. I forgot about that until I got in the car to drive to work and the mind started to wander lol.

I think the most impressive part of that is that once some dragons were trained, other dragons simply had to only watch them to learn also.
I'd love to actually find that study if someone can find it lol.

Maybe that's why Moro spends 90% of her waking hours staring at the girls lol.
MrSpectrum":3jgburaq said:
Sorry, I'm blanking on "francis".
Dr. Francis baines. Shes part owner of that website you've seen, uvguide.uk.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2l3y6izh said:
I think the most impressive part of that is that once some dragons were trained, other dragons simply had to only watch them to learn also.
Likewise. I've seen vids of the behavior in corvids (crows, ravens) & (obviously) primates. Always fascinating/intriguing.

MrSpectrum":2l3y6izh said:
Sorry, I'm blanking on "francis".
Dr. Francis baines. Shes part owner of that website you've seen, uvguide.uk.
Still not ringing any bells, but I'll look it up. Thanks.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
While I was looking things up...

I looked up the other species of Pogonas

Wikipedia lists 8 "recognized/valid" species
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogona#Species

Animal Diversity Web lists 7 species
https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Pogona/classification/

Reptile Database lists 8 species
http://reptile-database.reptarium.cz/search?search=pogona&submit=Search

Animal Planet also lists 8 species
http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/other-pets/bearded-dragon-stats-facts/

Science Direct didn't list the various species, but did have some hardcore medical/scientific info.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/pogona

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I guess I should have said "can you do it for me cuz I'm at work and dont want to..." LOL
Thanks for the link. Gotta read it tomorrow when I have time. Long day today!

I was referring to the part where däv mentioned morphs, not necessarily species. Unless he meant species and not morphs.

I knew of 4 or 5 species off the top of my head. Guess I'll have to look at what the 8 are.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for posting those. It is always nice to have neat stories & videos on hand for
educational purposes. :D

Tracie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2y54kfye said:
I was referring to the part where däv mentioned morphs, not necessarily species. Unless he meant species and not morphs.
Imagine for a moment, that I'm Carly Simon... :puke:
"You're so vain, You probly thought that [post] was about you..." :mrgreen:

I remembered 4 species OTTOMH, too. I was looking them up (mostly) for my own edification, so as long as I was there, I thought I'd share. Like Nick Fury, "I do share. I'm nice like that." :mrgreen:

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Thanks for the post! It was a fun watch and I certainly enjoy all the other links some of you have replied with! Love learning about these little amazing creatures :blob8:

Also, the video of the beardies opening the little door to get to the food is absolutely awesome. I remember when I fist read that study and I'm so glad that someone actually found it!! THANKS!!!!!

Vanessa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom