Tropical Storm/Hurricane???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriNoelle

Hello!

I'm living in Florida and we may potentially be getting hit with a tropical storm/hurricane in the next few days. The part I'm worried about most is, I'm going to be out of town! So my boyfriend's dad is going to be taking care of my beardie, crestie, and bluey. They'll all be at his house so he can watch them during the storm for power outages. I'm going to leave him with a bunch of hand warmers, towels, and blankets for them just in case. But I was looking into getting some kind of battery or generator or something that he can plug the lights into in case of an outage, does anyone have anything like this or would recommend something for this?

Thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since it's warm, they should be OK at room temp for a while. Especially in Florida. It's a good idea to store some food and water for them just as you would for humans. As far as lights go, it will be tough to keep them on for a long time without using a generator. What I have in place for brief outages is a good battery backup for a computer/server. It's enough power to handle most outages but only really provides a few hours total of energy so you'd want to use the lights intermittently unless you have budget for a lot of high capacity battery backups. Generally speaking they should be fine for a while at room temp if they are safe and comfortable.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Bri,

I think you may be over-worrying, which is understandable. I'm assuming you've checked your local forecast for the duration. The crested gecko should be fine. The beardie & bluey have similar requirements, but short-term, even the Australian Outback (where both are from) occasionally gets inclement weather, including cold spells. For peace of mind, you can look this up on Google: australian outback climate weather. The towels & blankets sound reasonable; they'll help keep things calm if a blow develops.

They aren't going to develop MBD in a few days--that can take weeks/months. Worst case, they may go into brumation for a short time (some owners on this site are reporting signs of brumation in their beardies now).

I trust you're also leaving them with a supply of feeders and instructions for your boyfriend's dad.

Best wishes.

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
just tell the people watching your beardie to keep hot hands to keep the beardies warm(if its chilly there) if the power goes out but they should be fine. make sure they are caring for your bearded dragons correctly to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom