He’s Basking in the Wrong Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
What should I do when Figment chooses to bask in the wrong place? His basking spot is a high branch that hits 105, but he seems to prefer a lower branch that only reaches 97 or so. This morning he was basking under the UV tube. Should I move him to the better spot, trust that he knows what he needs, move the big branch so his preferred branch is in the spotlight, or what?

I’m actually wondering if the branches are too smooth for him to get a purchase on... watching and observing.

-Chris

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He will go to where he needs to go --- unless he is really sick and wont move dont worry about him - they will sit at different heat gradients if he can ---- trust him to do what he needs to do-- you dont haft to have the UVB and basking area in the same area --- mine does not and bounce back and forth between the two
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Same here. I installed a camera last night so I can check what she really does.

She hangs out where it is mostly 90-95 °F for long periods of time. She is close enough to the T5 UVB tube , I agree with MrSpectrum on making sure the distance is ok for UVB. I have trusted her to regulate her heat. She gets in her hot spot sometimes.

Something I did for anything in my dragon's enclosure was gently hold her underneath letting her front arms hang, then let her claws drag across the wood/surface area of stuff inside. Gently because seeing if the claws catch on the material...my girl is pretty chill and she relaxes her hands when I test this. A grabbing dragon would show even better if the claws catch :D if he is more active and wiggly.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I’ve got the basking lamp as close to the UV fixture as I can, but to my eye the light from them doesn’t overlap; the T8 UVB is mounted on the back wall, right corner, of my 40B tank; the basking lamp is right in front of it. The light from the UV fixture seems to go straight down rather than spreading out, but I bought it because it was a fixture designed for terrariums... this is what I have, but I put a Reptisun 10 in, instead of the included Zilla bulb.

Zilla Reptile Slimline Reptile Lighting Fixture with UVB Lamp, 18-Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00780X1O2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_z3bzDb42CH3PX

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Does your T8 tube have a reflector? With a reflector the T8 light should be with 8-10 inches from your dragon's back for the best exposure. You could use a tape measure to measure the distance from light to areas your dragon hangs out at, as a straight line from tube part closest to where your dragon puts the middle of his back.

Maybe someone else can chime in? Moving the tube light to the front of the closure for better exposure as a possible option.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Zilla Slimline has a reflector built in. The clear plastic just needs to be removed from in front of the bulb before use. I agree that he will move around to get different temps and different UVB levels throughout the course of the day. As long as he has good options to choose from, I'd let him move about to get what he needs.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":33vh6nug said:
The Zilla Slimline has a reflector built in. The clear plastic just needs to be removed from in front of the bulb before use. I agree that he will move around to get different temps and different UVB levels throughout the course of the day. As long as he has good options to choose from, I'd let him move about to get what he needs.

Yes, the first thing I did was remove the plastic- stupid thing to have on a fixture for herps. I’ll measure out the distance from his favorite basking spot to the UV, but I feel much better having read these comments. Thank you all!

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom