Must I separate them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolb4

I confiscated two adult bearded dragons from my grandchildren that were not properly caring for them. I have had them for about 6 months and have never had bearded dragons before. They are in a 60 gallon aquarium with all of the appropriate housing, lighting etc. I have studied alot and believe they are receiving good care.
They are both females. One has become overweight and the other appears normal weight. They never fight. The large one is always first to the dish but I always provide two dishes. They always sleep together.
My question is whether or not they must be separated or will it be stressful for them to be apart. They have been together most of their lives.
I don't handle them as much as I should but I do the best I can. Do they prefer a solitary life considering the limited time I spend with them. I take care of their needs but don't provide extracurricular activities very often. I have leashes but maybe take them out once a week.
So, should I keep them together in a larger aquarium or separate them? Not to mention the expense of setting up two aquariums.
I will appreciate the groups input.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Housing 2 females together is one of the exceptions to housing BDs singly. Since they've been together this long without issue, I don't see any reason to change things unless... things do change--behavior-wise.

I think it may be possible the heavier one may be gravid with infertile eggs. If so, she will eventually have a need to dig a nest to lay them in.

Once a week on a leash sounds pretty good to me (but then I'm not a dragon :) ).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

To piggy back off the advice above, are you sure they are both females?

Dragons can be housed togethr, but I usually only recommend it to experienced keepers. It's kind of like motorcycle riding. It's not if you go down, it's when you go down. 9 times out of 10, something will happen. So, just be prepared for that.

If you don't have a second setup on hand, i would suggest at least putting the money aside so you have it available if you need to buy a second setup.

They definitely can be housed together without incident, but there definitely can be incident. And that is something that all experienced owners who house together, and all breeders, are prepared for. Hence the ability to separate if need be.

On another note, I don't believe the dragons really get a benefit from being housed together. But, that's a separate discussion.

Good luck with what you decide to do! :D

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How big is the enclosure they will be housed in ?

Essentially each dragon will need it's own basking spot and you will need at least 2 hides , I wouldn't house two adult dragons together unless I had a pit or enclosure at least 6ft x 4ft footprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom