First Reptile Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
SECOND Reptile Show...

This one was really small--maybe half the size of the first show we went to. Many/most of the vendors were the same--not all, but we thought that was good in case any were having an off day, or other details might have changed.

Best price on cork rounds at the last show was $9/lb. At this show, it was $8/lb. Some of the prices of other things--decor items, supplies, animals--also seemed slightly lower. I've seen this at other kinds of shows in the past--prices proportionate to crowd size, table fees, etc. Many of the vendors remembered us too. This show didn't have a website or vendor list, so I brought lined sheets on my clipboard and wrote down names, notes, & impressions by hand. We're getting a better feel for local breeders.

2 shows to go til D-Day (Dragon-Day!) :D

Gotta get my butt in-gear on the enclosure & other preparations. :roll:

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":39uhjzed said:
SECOND Reptile Show...

2 shows to go til D-Day (Dragon-Day!) :D

Gotta get my butt in-gear on the enclosure & other preparations. :roll:

I can't wait to hear about your new dragon baby! LOL... I'm vicariously excited, and want to see lots of pictures! :D

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Was there any improvement on the business card availability? I am intrigued that you can see the same vendors a few times. You can tell them to get some business cards from FedEx office online. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
As far as I can tell, the vendors that didn't have their poop together still don't have their poop together. Is it fair to say it's only been 2 weeks? :dontknow:
I spoke with one helper/employee who told me, "I've been telling him, but he just won't do it."

Yes, there are godzillions of places they can be gotten cheap, or as I mentioned, Avery, etc. make laser-cut business card stock in a variety of weights, colors, textures, printer types, etc. (I've still got several packages) You can run off one or several sheets of 10 cards at a time. Easy-Peasy.

It's a weird trait, but some people are afraid of success, so set themselves up to fail. :dontknow:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
THIRD Reptile Show...

DorgEndo":128q6y0k said:
Was there any improvement on the business card availability? I am intrigued that you can see the same vendors a few times.
This time, there was some improvement; at least 2 of the vendors I had previously discussed business cards with now had them. One or two others had updated/reprinted cards. A few have gone to a square (2½" x 2½") format instead of the decades-old/proven standard 3½" x 2" rectangular format. Is this a thing? :? If so, I'm not hep enough to get it--they don't fit well in wallets, business card holders, or stacked with standard cards (or is that the point?)

As I suspected, some vendors had raised some prices from where they were at the smaller show. Others ran "sales" which also made sense--who wants to take a truckload of glass enclosures back to the warehouse? Stuff (both animals and supplies) seemed to be flying out of there at a higher rate than the 2 previous shows. For whatever reason(s), people seemed to be buying/spending more here.
(Though I had some concerns, e.g. 2 young unaccompanied kids who came out with a baby B&W Tegu...)

This time around, we engaged more BD breeders in "hairy eyeball to hairy eyeball" discussions. Curious coincidence: "Standard" morph BDs (i.e genetically close to wild) are, according to many sources, the most common "morph" (I don't know if that really qualifies as a "morph"), yet when I told over a dozen breeders that that's what I wanted/was looking for, none of them had any, nor knew of anyone who was breeding them. This (in my mind) goes back to the notion that breeders are breeding what's cool/fashionable, or what generates the highest profits, but I digress...

About 75± vendors were registered (according to the vendor list on the show's website) to attend this show, but only 25± on that list were there. Does that say/mean anything? About 18± (reptile-related; I left out the "fringe" vendors) appeared that were not on the list. I have no idea if this is typical.

One vendor--Pets Plus of Lockport, NY (not to be confused with the chain, Pet Supplies Plus) had the largest display of animals, many of which species I'd not seen previously at other shows. I was impressed by the diversity/variety, and pretty enthusiastic that there might be an actual reptile breeder/dealer/store within 500 miles of me. However, when I got home and googled them...
You
decide. :roll:

The good news (despite no-one having a "standard" BD) is that my short list is getting longer.
I also believe/feel I'm getting more insight into this hobby and business.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
The only places I’ve seen “wild type” beardies, sadly, are in the “big box” pet stores, and they tend to be teeny little things of hatchling size. I don’t know who buys them; I’d never feel secure raising such a young dragon. You’re probably right that “pretty sells” - so breeders are focusing on the flashy colors.

Re:business cards... nonstandard shape makes them stand out of a pile; they probably don’t think about fitting into cases or wallets. Irritating but it works, unless you just fling the ones that don’t fit!

If you cannot find a breeder who does wild type dragons, will you settle for a pretty morph? Good luck with your search! Love reading your show reviews.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm jealous of all the shows around you. Still waiting for a decently big one to happen near me. (they always are like 3+ hours away, which isn't too bad but still..)

I'd consider standard morph to just simply be standard scalation, and no other morphs visible. Maybe even no other traits even het.

That last part would be the hard part in todays day and age I'd imagine. But I do see a few of the bigger breeders somehow managing to get pure barbatas and introducing them into their lines. This could be a viable way of diluting the morphs enough and introducing enough wild back into them that we will eventually get back to a "wild" type dragon for vitt.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Don't be. I set a pretty far radius for the initial experience/research. In future years, we'll probably only visit 1 or 2 shows per year, if that. Many shows seem to be semi-annual; don't know yet if there's any difference/advantage between spring and/or autumn versions.

There was also a luck of the draw factor. Other times of year, there aren't any shows within the same radius for 6 months or so. Seems to be a season for them, which some dealers said coincided with breeding/laying seasons (adjusted accordingly). One said his dragons were backward, and laid clutches during the "off season". Maybe they're still on Oz time... :dontknow:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":6p2m0kz3 said:
You’re probably right that “pretty sells” - so breeders are focusing on the flashy colors.
Apparently, color in and of itself isn't necessarily a "morph". It's all the other stuff that messes things up. Unlike dogs cats, horses, and other domestic animals, reptiles don't have any organized breeding associations/standards or decent record keeping. I'm guessing that this wasn't a problem with $20-$40 zards (ethics notwithstanding) but prices of some are approaching those of pedigreed dogs! :shock:

Re:business cards... nonstandard shape makes them stand out of a pile; they probably don’t think about fitting into cases or wallets. Irritating but it works, unless you just fling the ones that don’t fit!
I've seen some doozies at craft shows. Some printed cards on actual thin pieces of wood, others had double-sized folded in half, a couple even had 3D fold-outs, but they all stuck to the standard size format. I looked these over again, and you're right--I'm flinging all but one.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Square business cards and only the "pretty" morphs. Everyone trying to be a special snowflake. Get me a cane and a grey wig so I can yell at those dang hip youngsters being try-hards. 2.5" square would be a great fridge magnet. Now that would work. Make long term business connections because that magnet goes up and no one ever gets rid of old magnets. Put a little dragon graphic on there, phone, website, address, etc.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hahahahahaha!! :laughing6:

You don't know how your choice of "snowflake" vindicates me right now... :lol:

Well, I already use a cane, my hair (what's left of it) is probably greyer than my mental self-image,
and anyone one second or more younger than me is a freaking KID! :roll:
To top it off, when I had/ran a business, I used to keep business cards organized in these.
(Needless to say, these stupid square peg cards don't fit.) Dumbass idea.
105703-7902370710.jpg

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I almost didn't write that for worry of offending people. Then again, young people these days get offended too easily and need to hear it like it is :wink:

There are some reptile shows around where I am. One every 3 or 4 months. The only reason I would go is to find neat accessories for Devlyn. I'm not planning on any more pets...although a centipede might be neat. If I do go I will be prepared to critique business cards and other really basic things. It drives me nuts when I see a business that might be interesting but they don't post their hours or have any contact info like phone or email.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
A couple of the shows we went to had centipedes (along with various other creepy-crawlies). I didn't track those 'cuz it's not really our thing (and I'm not looking to get divorced! :roll: )

We found the most accessories at the biggest shows. I think Zoo Med had one entire wall (BTICBW)--they had the largest selection--unless you're thinking of crafty crap like dragon wings/harnesses, hammocks, art, etc. Crafters will do any show that'll let 'em in. :wink:

As mentioned in my OP, I got a list of vendors from each show's website, put them into Excel & sorted alphabetically, and put a box in front of each one. If they were there and we checked them out, they either got an X (for got a b. card) or a check mark (if no B. card). Then we either gave them a + (for would consider doing business with) or - (for avoid like the plague) Nothing for neutral/TBD. I left plenty of room to the right of--and between--vendors for notes, and space at the bottom of each page for "write-ins" that weren't on the website list. That's about all we needed--your needs may be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom