Question About Leatherbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

justkniel

I believe I read somewhere that Silkback dragons can have some extra health considerations that you need to be careful of. Do Leatherback dragons have anything like that or are they pretty much the same as standard dragons? Thanks.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Leatherbacks are pretty much the same as standard beardies. They're not like silkbacks who have literally no scales at all, Leatherbacks still have scales, just slightly reduced.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hippie is correct! :mrgreen:

It can be debated that leatherbacks aren't as protected from UV rays like normal scaled dragons are. But we have no proof of this, only theory and discussion points. The leatherback gene is a mutation after all, a mutation of the skin. It's not out of the realm of possibility that these reduced scales allow more UV to penetrate than normals.

But, this really doesn't mean anything for how you take care of leatherbacks, as we've kept leatherbacks for decades under regular conditions and seen no ill effects like we have with silkies.

But, it's still an interesting topic to discuss imo.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom