Baths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read so many conflicting things regarding baths.

Are they at all helpful for hydration if the beardie doesn't drink while they're soaking? My guy doesn't particularly care for baths, but I think he may be a bit dehydrated. If soaking, alone, helps, I'll do that, but otherwise, I'll just continue to give him drops of water on his nose throughout the day.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya,

Baths aren't very good for hydration if the beardies don't drink from them. Some people claim they absorb water through their vent, but as far as I can tell this is completely false. That said, baths are great for hydrating stuck shed and are often good for encouraging bowel movements and exercise.

If you are having trouble with dehydration issues, you might consider getting some hornworms about once every couple of weeks and adding a little bit of iceberg or romain lettuce to his salad. Hornworms are actually very healthy as well as high in moisture and most dragons LOVE them. The only problem is that they're kinda expensive - my closest supplier is $7 for 4 or $10 for 10. Oof! Lettuce, frankly, has almost no nutritional value but is wonderful for perking up dehydrated dragons.

Hope that helps,
-Ellen

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are only helpful for hydration if the dragon drinks. No water is absorbed through the cloaca.

What makes you think your dragon is dehydrated. The urates are really the best way to tell at home.

Ellen's suggested for hornworms is great. They really do hydrate. You can buy them much cheaper online too.

Red bell peppers are another great options. Even picket salad eaters usually like bright red bell pepper.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
@Ellen you can get 12 horn worms for $5.95 from Dubiaroaches.com only you haft to pay shipping - so its better to order more that just one thing ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom