Dobby don't like staying in her viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Has anyone got a beardie that spends most of the time outside their enclosure? And how do you get round providing uvb? Dobby constantly scratches at the glass when she's in her viv but when she sits on the windowsill she sits perfectly still watching what goes on outside, usually children playing football ? I wondering whether to just put her in her viv when it's feeding time and nighttime etc, so is it possible or am I pandering to her ?

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Out of the box suggestion. Get her a toy football, like a dog toy type that is very durable so she can't eat any piece of it, let her hang out in her enclosure more to get UVB.

Can you move her enclosure to a window view?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd just endulge her .

is the TV where she can see it ? My pet dragons and skinks (and wild ones that sometimes visit inside or take up residence inside) all love watching the TV.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've tried toys and shes not impressed, except a pokemon cushion she sits on while up at the window :lol: her viv is opposite the tv so has good view when it is on :)
maybe a bigger Vivarium would make her happier she is in a 45" long x 19" wide x 24" high , was thinking of a 6 ft vivarium , pricey but worth it if she will be happier. seeing her constantly trying to get out is a little upsetting, even though temps are on the cooler side now its summer 95-100 f and just 80 in the cooler end , she went away for a week boarding while I was away and has come back like a different lizard, so much more active and eating veg which I couldn't get her to do before, she used to hide in her cave all day, now she wont hide at all and is up before he lights go on, maybe its just the weather, I'm just worried she is ill or distressed :?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you tried setting up basking spots around the house for her? It's good that she has time to sit in the window. They tend to enjoy that. My dragon hates being in his enclosure but I don't think he'd be happy even with a larger one. I let him roam freely when I'm home and he has basking spots around the house that he uses. That works pretty well but sometimes he will even "glass surf" the outer wall of the house. Sorry guy, I'm not getting a bigger house for you =).

76248-2881195503.jpg

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ha ha. I am getting basking lights like yours. I'm just worried about lack of uvb or can we get something made up for that too? She's currently on her harness and extending dog lead having a wander outside, me at other end of lead of course ? x

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Outside time is great when you can provide it =). I've found that my guy spends a lot of time under his plain basking light (PAR38 halogen). Sometimes he goes under his mercury vapor bulb (for UVB) but not constantly. That's actually helped me get a sense for how much and how often they need UVB and basking time. If you want to provide both, try using a 100w PowerSun or MegaRay bulb set at about 12''(ish) off the floor.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry CooperDragon I thought I had replied. ?. So if I got a another basking area outside the viv, she would know when she needs to warm up so would go to it right? And if I got this bulb below would that work for both heat and uvb?
100805-4123846223.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I commented on the other thread, but yes I'd give that one a shot. My guys have learned fairly quickly where to go to warm up and just return to the light if they want to. Sometimes they hide under furniture and have a nap though so if that happens just put her back in her enclosure =)

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank You. I realised I put 2 posts up for same bulb. Doh. We had a halogen bulb blow yesterday and she's been very calm since. I dont suppose they sense these things or hear things we can't. ?. She goes under the furniture to have a look then comes out again, She hasn't napped during the day all week, she's like a toddler, in to everything ??.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom