Good temperature to take a beardie out on a harness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I live in Scotland, and if you've ever been here you'll know it's not exactly the most reptile-friendly country, but as it's just turning summer, what temperature should it be to take my beardie into the garden on a harness? He's 6/7, maybe 8 months old, I'm going to take him for his first vet visit when he's maybe a year old and check it out, probably make sure of the gender too. So what temperature is ideal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was told by my vet here in the states that 70 degrees was good
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":13o9ou51 said:
I was told by my vet here in the states that 70 degrees was good
Karrie

That's a bit on the chilly side , the dragon is likely to cool down very fast at that temperature and likely wont enjoy the experience.
21 degC (70 F) is well below a bearded dragon's voluntary minimum temperature , the vet who suggested it was OK is giving poor advise.
icjwn4.png

26 to 30 degC is more comfortable for a bearded dragon and closer to it's preferred operating body temperature of 36 degC. Probably a tall order in Scotland unless you are having a "heatwave".

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
70 Degrees is fine to take your dragon out in. He will enjoy the natural sun :)

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
My vet also told me 70 degrees minimum and it should be full sun or mostly sun. Never in the rain, even a light rainfall will cool down a beardie very fast.

Do you think your vet in your country would answer a question like that over the phone? Someone local may have a better answer than internet people not in Scotland

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The voluntary minimum temperature for a bearded dragon is 25 degC.

The preferred temperature range is 31 to 39 degC.

These temperature have not been picked out of mid air , but are based on ACTUAL behavioural studies of wild bearded dragon in their native range.

Any vet who says 21 degC is fine to take a dragon outside in (even in direct sun on a calm breezeless day) doesn't know much about the thermal requirements and temperature responses of bearded dragons.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Been doing it for decades. Lots of other people have too. Thinking any Ill effects will come to your dragon for being outside in 70 degree weather for an hour or so is a bit silly.

I can promise you your dragon will be fine outside in 70 degrees for a bit.

Vets state it, experience shows it, doing it proves it.

Could you explain to us what Ill will come to our dragons if we do this? Because I can't think of anything. but you must know of something so im sure I and the rest of the posters here would love to know what that is so we can make a better informed decision.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kingofnobbys":7ajw25ot said:
The voluntary minimum temperature for a bearded dragon is 25 degC.
My dragons have always voluntarily left their cages to run around my house that is usually 70-72 degrees. And they will stay out for hours before going to bask again. You can only imagine how being outside in the natural sunlight would be even more enjoyable for them at the same temperatures.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom