How to bond and get over fears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Hi my bearded dragon is doing really well, he’s healthy and growing very rapidly. The only issue is that he hates being picked up and he’s scared of being in the bath. I hold him everyday and do everything near him so he’s used to me he just doesn’t like being held. He isn’t aggressive like he doesn’t bite me he just tries to run away and climb away from you. He also is scared of taking baths and at first I thought it was because maybe it was too hot/cold or too deep but I did a lot of research and I’m doing it correctly he just “panic swims” and tries I climb out. Is there anything I’m doing wrong/something I could do that could improve these issues?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My beardie doesnt like baths either --- he never has --- he tolerates them now --- what I have done is put a dish towel in the sink - I have a deep sink on one side - and wet the towel before putting him in - set him in sink and run the water getting it warm before putting it on him - he will let me run water on him for as long as I want sometimes trying to get out but I always put him back in - the water pools but yet still drains --- just keep giving him baths when you haft to --- it helps when they shed --- as far as holding him keep trying --- you can put a soft cloth like clothing w/ your smell in his hide - that will get him used to you -- when you go to pick him up come from the side and not overhead they will think your a predator--
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If your juvenile bearded dragon is not a fan of baths , I'd stop the baths unless he's soiled himself and REALLY NEEDS one , simply NOT worth the drama and the stress to the dragon.

I would step back a little and try to gain his trust by always offering him a food treat when ever you pick up , this way he'll learn
1) you are not going to hurt him
2) to associate being picked up with something he likes.

In a nutshell - time and patience. He'll come around.

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes I don’t give him bath’s very often but since he hurt his back when he was little (before we had him) and his back legs don’t work that well so sometimes if he doesn’t feel like trying to use them he’ll kinda drag them behind him and sometimes that results in him dragging poop all down his lower body if it’s before I get a chance to clean it up (while I’m at school etc.) and I’ve noticed that he seems to be less scared if he’s taking a bath in the bath tub rather than the sink. But I’ll try working with him on the losing and everything. Thank you both for the advice!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Invest in a plastic flat bottomed babybath.

Only put him in once the cold and hot water has been added and mixed to get it to 32 degC and about deep enough for him to only have water deep enough to come up to his side fringe of spikes , and do the bathing
> on the bed,
> on the coffee table
> on he carpet
Never leave a bathing unattended.

This is what I've done in the past for my adult bluetongue skinks and bearded dragons.

I've found the sound the taps running will freak out a lizard.
And if the bathing is a basin, it's very easy in a moment of panic for lizard to suddenly leap out and make a dash for it and end up landing hard and heavily on the very hard and very unforgiving tiled floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom