Has any body heard of this lizard harness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually purchases a ferret harness for my guy and it is working out great so far and he was agreeable to wearing it.

The only down side is it has snaps underneath. I think it would have been easier to put on if it was velcro but honestly a snap is probably safer?

105688-204143986.jpg

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry, can't comment on "commercially available" harnesses. MrsSpectrum (DW) is pretty handy with her sewing machine, and--if asked--would relish the challenge of something like that. She might even opt to crochet one.

That said, I've been mulling over outside walks for some time. Some sources caution that there could be (depending on individual circumstances) exposure to lawn & garden pesticides/herbicides, parasites (if s/he eats any bugs or plants) or impaction from ingesting soil, pebbles, etc. Also keep an eye out (depending on your local circumstances) for predators (cats, dogs, birds, other wildlife). A harness might prevent your dragon from being spirited away, but damage could still be done.
Food for thought.

Honest, I'm not against this--just think & be vigilant. The whole idea of a harness is to protect the l'il buggers from harm, right? That's only part of the story when they're out in the big dangerous real world. :wink:

YMMV

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i have been looking into a harness i cant take my beardie outside he will puff up hiss and try to run away. but my parents don't often spray pesticides only when the bugs start eating our plants, he is really afraid of birds i just want him to get use to outside.

When they're outside they function very instinctively. The colors are so much more vivid and the overhead shadows can make them become defensive. My beardie would hiss and puff up a lot the first few times I took him out but after chatting with some folks I realized I was causing this because when he would run I would follow along and then crouch down to pick him up---I was creating a shadow over him when I did this so he thought I was a predator!

Now I keep him on a harness and try to stay on whichever side I'm not casting a shadow over him. When it's pick up time I try to crouch slowly behind him and gently start petting his head and then lift and I typically bring a dark towel out so I can cover his head while I carry him inside. This seems to work out well.

I've definitely heard a lot of opinions on letting these guys outside. I only let him down in the grass in spaces I know are safe and untreated and we only stay out for 20-30 minutes at a time. I personally feel like going outside is healthy for their mental health. :wink: just my 2 cents

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
kreinmiller":25v8wpq9 said:
Now I .... try to stay on whichever side I'm not casting a shadow over him. When it's pick up time I try to crouch slowly behind him and gently start petting his head and then lift and I typically bring a dark towel out so I can cover his head while I carry him inside. This seems to work out well.
I think that's smart. :wink:

If I could suggest an alternative to a harness... (As I said, I've been thinking about this) what about an outdoor enclosure, where dragons can get some fresh air, sunshine, and exercise, but still be safe from harm? I have seen folks concoct a sort of outdoor "playpen" for their beardies. A top could be constructed of screen/chicken wire to allow the good stuff (e.g. sunlight) in , but keep the bad stuff (e.g. predators) out. An outdoor enclosure could have a similar footprint to his/her indoor enclosure, or be larger to allow more... exploring/activity. Substrate & floral environment could also be more controlled, and a harness/leash wouldn't be necessary. :wink:

YMMV

SPandS

Juvie Member
I used to use a kitten harness, I wanted to bring my first beardie outside and happened to already have it. It fit and I felt like it was secure but I didn't like how it went around her neck. It was just too restricting. So I got her something she could be in completely unrestrained but also secure.
103231-8217008360.jpg
Each of my girls have their own so they can both be out at the same time

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Outstanding! :D I really, really like it!

It (apparently) even has shade!
Is there some kind of netting/protection over the large unshaded area? (Can't tell from the pic)

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will have to ask my dad about an oudoor enclosure but first we have to build my tortoise an outdoor enclosure.

SandP":3sgwb4a0 said:
I got her something she could be in completely unrestrained but also secure.
103231-8217008360.jpg

LOVE this....this would be a great situation to allow a digging space and maybe even toss some crickets or roaches in there so they really feel like their out hunting. Thanks for sharing that!

SPandS

Juvie Member
MrSpectrum":1mb1hnd5 said:
Outstanding! :D I really, really like it!

It (apparently) even has shade!
Is there some kind of netting/protection over the large unshaded area? (Can't tell from the pic)

Yes, the top has the same mesh as the sides. The top does come off completely though if you ever needed it to.

kreinmiller":1mb1hnd5 said:
LOVE this....this would be a great situation to allow a digging space and maybe even toss some crickets or roaches in there so they really feel like their out hunting. Thanks for sharing that!

I've tried feeding mine some greens out there but they always seem more interested in what's going on around them but live foods may get their attention.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Moon4wolfgirl":3vmvz8l1 said:
I will have to ask my dad about an oudoor enclosure but first we have to build my tortoise an outdoor enclosure.
Any chance they/it could be the same enclosure? I don't mean putting them in there together; I mean more like a timeshare... unless your intention is to have both outside at the same time, in which case I would suggest separate enclosures. :wink:

It might take a little extra thought/planning, but less expense in the long run.

YMMV

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
never thought of that. that would work, we are building a large outdoor cage with mesh at the top, so I guess they could, thanks for the idea.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
SandP":24ajj1hy said:
I used to use a kitten harness, I wanted to bring my first beardie outside and happened to already have it. It fit and I felt like it was secure but I didn't like how it went around her neck. It was just too restricting. So I got her something she could be in completely unrestrained but also secure.
103231-8217008360.jpg
Do you happen to have a link to that one, or at least maker/product name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom