Page 1 of 1

Moving Internationally

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:37 am
by toxicrocker1992
My wife and I may be moving to Cambodia within the year for work. My question is how do we take our Bearded Dragon with us. Consistently I have seen that we need to call the airline, but I haven't found anything consistent. Does anybody know of any good resources, or personal experience moving a bearded dragon from the United States to South East Asia; or anywhere for that matter.

Re: Moving Internationally

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 am
by Ellentomologist
Can't help personally, I'm afraid, but also fascinated to hear the answer.


Re: Moving Internationally

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:26 pm
by Drache613

I don't have any experience directly with taking a bearded dragon outside of the US.
It is correct though, that you will need to contact the airlines regarding what their rules &
regulations are. They do vary in their policies & I'm not sure which ones allow reptiles, etc.
There are a couple of dedicated airlines that just fly animals. I can try to dig up the websites
for you & post back for you.
Another thing is that you will need to contact the Ambassador or Embassy of the country you
are moving to & request paperwork for importing your reptile. They can answer other questions
for you such as quarantining, fees, etc to import. Since bearded dragons are not on the CITES
list meaning they are not an endangered species, you will have a very good chance of being
able to bring your reptile into Cambodia.
I highly recommend having all pertinent papers, documentation, permits, fees, etc taken care of
before you get to the airport so you wont have any problems or complications.

I hope this helps some.

Re: Moving Internationally

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:16 am
by kingofnobbys
Another couple of things to look into are :
>>> licencing to keep reptiles as pets in Cambodia (may need to get a permit to keep one or more as house hold pets in Cambodia
>>> are bearded dragons regarded as an invasive species in Cambodia ? this might make getting an import permit hard.
>>> commercial feeder insect availability in Cambodia in the area you will be living.
>>> will the landlord allow you to keep pet reptiles and feeder insects in the unit or house you will be renting ?
>>> possibility of setting up an outdoor bearded dragon pit / cage for during the dry season.

Route the flights will be taking from USA to Cambodia , if they are via Australia or NZ , you will have problems with customs ( imports of reptiles from overseas is strictly prohibited ).

Re: Moving Internationally

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:44 am
by toxicrocker1992
Awesome, Thank you all so much. I will start digging into these things. As far as the airlines that do just reptiles, if i could get those links as a starting point that would be great.