Leaving for three days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Hi, I'm leaving for three days soon(going to my grandmas), should I bring my bearded Dragon or will be be fine. I don't have timers for lights.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would suggest if your leaving for 3 days not having lights on for 3 days is too long- buy a timer or plan to take him w/ and all his lighting -- do you have someone to feed him/ her while your gone? You can have someone come to feed him and have the timer turn your lights on and off-- but I would not leave him/ her for 3 days w/ no lighting--or food
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you buy a timer he will be fine. They can be had for pretty cheap, and you only need one. Just plug your surge protector or splitter into the timer so it controls all your lights.

It will make your life so much easier lol.

-Brandon

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't really have any body that I trust to feed him, I'm scared I'm come home cricket every where and blitz not in his cage. Also I just spent my money on crickets and don't really have any more only change, and me and my dad was gonna build an timer for a coding protect (since I'm homeschooled). I brought blitz before but now that he is twice the size it going to be hard. If I do bring him do you think a small storage container will do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How big is he? You can put him in a tote but make sure your lighting is correct-- do a test w/ your lights and the container you plan on taking- do you have a infrared heat gun for taking temps? You don't want the basking lamp getting to hot and making temps in the container too hot-- your gonna haft to take his crickets in something - do you have a cricket keeper? How old is he?
Karrie

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I did have a tote, but he's to big for it know. He's around 8-9 months and 13 inches. I don't have an heat gun to take temps or a cricket tote. For blitz i think I'm just going to buy a storage container for him and see if can handle the lights. And I'm going to just bring the crickets in a cup, along with some home made good i blended up for him. Does that plan seem good?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get a big enough tote to take him --- I would get him out when you are visiting for a few hours and then get him back into the tote to warm up - you dont want him out more than two hrs at a time - the crickets wont last in a cup - they will die crickets are not very hardy - the only thing that would last would be the Blow Fly larvea in a cup or dubia roaches w/ ventilation of course- they would be the best for trips - is he eating vegies ? If he is you can leave the crickets at home and just feed him vegies while you are gone--- that would be even easier- 3 days w / out crickets are not going to hurt him- but make sure you do a test / those lights and temps- that is important -- his temps need to be basking 95-105 ---- a infrared heat gun is like $10 from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes - you dont need an expensive one- how are you taking temps now in his tank?
Karrie

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I had to throw away his thermometer because he kept pooping on it and it eventually got nasty. I found a storage container but enough for him. He hasn't been able to eat crickets recently because I haven't been able to order them. He likes veggies also, I can't get rubies (even though I want to). I'll see if I can get some fly larve, but my grandma sometimes gets these huge wood bugs(roaches) once in a while, do you think he'll be able to eat those, I know it's a stupid question. :lol: .the infrared heat gun sounds pretty cheap,I might get one of them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need a heat gun -- you haft to get temps whether he's in that tote or not-- you need it and invest in a digital probe thermometer it can stick on the side of tank where he won't poop on it--- those roaches your talking about I wouldn't feed-- I am assuming they are a wild roach? You can order dubias on line-- go to Amazon search dubias most suppliers offer free shipping-- they are easy to keep- are you feeding a staple bug now-- he needs protein-- vitamins and calcium every day the calcium vitamins 2 x per week
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Moon4wolfgirl":1gplpmpd said:
I did have a tote, but he's to big for it know. He's around 8-9 months and 13 inches. I don't have an heat gun to take temps or a cricket tote. For blitz i think I'm just going to buy a storage container for him and see if can handle the lights. And I'm going to just bring the crickets in a cup, along with some home made good i blended up for him. Does that plan seem good?

A 100L to 120L tote will be perfect for him to travel in.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/all-set-120l-plastic-storage-container_p2583852
size W:520mm H:440mm L:750mm
set up viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

He goes in it when at the motel or destination with a heatpad ( heatslab = heatpad sandwiched between 2 layers of ceramic wall or floor tiles viewtopic.php?f=75&t=224976&p=1746469&hilit=safe+way+to+use+heatpads#p1746469 ) or a MVB under a lamp stand or halogen under a lamp stand in a dome, and 25W UVB200 globe in a exo terra nanohood
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/EXO-Terra-Pt2224-Nano-Compact-Top-Canopy-20-Cm/1008197877
fixed UNDER the lid (only needs 2 or 4 self drilling hex head wood screws to hold it firmly).
Put dragon in soft small animal carrier for when on road.

It wont harm him to go without UV for a few days - think very overcast weather in the wild. He will need 15 hours or so of heat (basking spot about 40 degC, warm zone about 35 degC).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A medium/large tote , a basking log and one good heat bulb to go over one end of the tote will be fine. I've done it quite a few times, there's no problem. Keep the lid off unless you can cut the middle out and hot glue screen to it. You don't need anything fancy at all more than that. Heat bulb should be 100 watt, set only at one end. He will regulate his own heat needs. :)

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
full

I found this container in our guest room closet, I just need to drill holes so he won't suffocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom