Page 1 of 1

Help! Allergic to Dubias??

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:47 pm
by Lexylexyy
How do I know if I’m allergic to Dubia Roaches? And if I am, do I get the allergic reactions when I’m handling and cleaning them only??

also, how can roaches get mites in their bins??

Re: Help! Allergic to Dubias??

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:46 am
by kingofnobbys
Swap to something else for a week , it might be the insects or their fras (poo) that you are reacting to.

If when you change the symptoms go away ,it's the insects or their fras.

Re: Help! Allergic to Dubias??

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:38 am
by Lexylexyy
kingofnobbys wrote:Swap to something else for a week , it might be the insects or their fras (poo) that you are reacting to.

If when you change the symptoms go away ,it's the insects or their fras.


Okay! Will I only get reactions during handling the roaches?

Re: Help! Allergic to Dubias??

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:57 am
by kingofnobbys
Lexylexyy wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:Swap to something else for a week , it might be the insects or their fras (poo) that you are reacting to.

If when you change the symptoms go away ,it's the insects or their fras.


Okay! Will I only get reactions during handling the roaches?


I'm not a MD, you need perhaps to have your GP do allergy screening IF you are indeed allergic to roaches (which I doubt as roaches are very fastidious and clean critters, they have to be survive and thrive in filthy situations).

Is more likely it's you are allergic to their fras or the molds that form on their food if it's not replaced before it forms molds.

Re: Help! Allergic to Dubias??

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 am
by JumpinJellyfish
You could use thin latex (or other material if you have latex allergy) gloves to handle them and their equipment. I think you'd have to be kicking up a LOT of dirt/frass to be concerned about respiratory allergy, but if you are, you could use a painters mask.

Re: Help! Allergic to Dubias??

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:33 am
by claudiusx
Lexylexyy wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:Swap to something else for a week , it might be the insects or their fras (poo) that you are reacting to.

If when you change the symptoms go away ,it's the insects or their fras.


Okay! Will I only get reactions during handling the roaches?


No, not only from handling. It can be from contact or the breathing in of particulates that causes the allergic response. But usually your symptoms will develop over time and become worse and worse, so you'll know as time goes on. It would be very unlikely to instantly develop anaphylaxis from your first exposure to them but it is possible. Gail who is a member here almost had to go to the er after being exposed to dubias. You might want to reach out to her, or ask her to post here for us.

-Brandon