Juvenile Bearded Dragon really agressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdayrit

Hi there, this is my first post here but im glad I found this site as it seems to have a ton of information.

So quick run down of what's going on with my beardie. He is about 5-6 months old and I've had him for a month and a half. Within the last 2 weeks he has became very aggressive, before the last 2 weeks he was very easy to handle. He is super finnicky anytime I am around his cage and bites when I stick my hand in to clean. Today for example, i went to feed him crickets and he lunged off his log to the top of the cage where i putting the crickets in.

I dont mind him acting like this (im assuming its a boy because of his behaviour) but its difficult if i want to pick him up or when he needs to bath.

Here are the stats on his cage and diet.

Cage Size: 20 gallon (cage also has background to stop glass surfing)
Substrate: Sand
Temps: 95 basking, 80 cool side
Lights: 75w infrared basking light, 10 UVB white light

Diet:
15-20 crickets/ day (they are not currently being dusted)
1 serving of gourmet blend by trex (its greens, vegtables, and a couple meal worms)

Please help me out, I had another beadie when i was younger and she was super calm and friendly.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum---- please post pics of your tank and lighting -- from what I am reading a 20 gallon tank for a 5-6 month old bearded dragon is way to small ---- next infrared basking light? Is it colored? Lighting has everything to do w/ their behavior and overall health--- the sand I would get rid of it and put paper towels in there for now -- but you really need to upgrade that tank
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so please get rid of the red light and get a new UVB light as mentioned in earlier post --- and definitely upgrade his tank ---- he needs something bigger -- I can see why hes being aggressive --- I would look at getting him into a 50 gallon or what it is recommended a 75 gallon to 120 gallon -- but definitely start w/ the lighting --- he needs a white basking light and he needs a hide of some sort being a log or a platform type w/ cave --- he is a very unhappy dragon--- once you get him into something bigger and the correct lighting your going to notice a huge behavior difference plus he needs proper UVB for his over all health as well -- I should of added colored bulbs are harmful to their eyes and can cause long term damage
Karrie

jdayrit

Original Poster
Gotcha, will replace the lighting and cage today. Can you recommend any specific lighting set up to help me out? thanks Karrie I appreciate it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is what is recommended on this forum--- for UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- also please make sure its a 10.0 bulb not a 5.0 HO that is more for tropical reptiles -- please get a Infrared Heat gun from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10 or so -- that is going to give you the most accurate temps in the tank --- also if you want ideas for substrate you can get non adhesive shelf line w/ some texture for non slippage or slated ceramic tile that I would recommend only for a permanent enclosure -- it would need to be cut to tank size - the shelf line as well but can be cut w/ scissors --- easy to clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 in a spray bottle --- let me know what you decide --- if you need more help please ask
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It needs to be a bright white bulb that can sustain temps in the new enclosure of 95-100 for adult basking-- your lights need to be on 12 hrs and off 12 hrs --- complete darkness --- their metabolism will slow at night for better sleep and temps on cool side of tank should be 80's during the day and no lower than 65 at nite --- please get him a hide --- and you can put soft cut up fleece or blanket in their for burrowing -- they like soft things
Karrie

jdayrit

Original Poster
He seems much happier after being in the new tank with the lighting. I think the only thing I did to do is get a stronger bulb for basking as his backing temps are low 90s right now. The light bulb is only a 100w. Let me know what you think karrie or if I could change anything

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What size tank did you put him in? The tank looks alot better- and I see you got a T5? He should be happier --- but I am wondering about the tank size--- are you getting temps w/ a infrared heat gun? I dont see any type of heat thermometer--
Karrie

jdayrit

Original Poster
yeah I have a thermometer in there, you just cant see it from that angle. and I only got a 40 gallon tank because I couldn't find anything bigger that I could just go and pick up. and yes I got the t5 10.0.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok -- well it will work for now his tank size -- but I would recommend him going into something bigger either a 75 or 120 gallon-- you might want to get him out for a few hrs a day just to keep him from getting bored and glass surfing-- but please pick up a infrared heat gun when you can so you can get accurate temps in your tank -- is he not being aggressive anymore -- the screen mesh on top is it a fine mesh -- if it is I would put the T5 in the tank approx 10-11 inches from his basking spot-- if its a wide hole it can stay on top but fine mesh blocks a lot of the UVB rays out --- I know its a work in progress --- you can start looking for bigger tanks so you can get a idea of what you want to get and how much you want to spend--- or if your handy you can always build one -- there are ideas on the DIY board -- alot of people use old dressers or entertainment centers and turn them into a tank -- I am not a handy person and bought mine from zenhabitats---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom