umm PLEASE READ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
okay this is just weird, I know you said can’t house beardies together and I think it’s all in the head when say that but I might be wrong as you all have had beardies longer than me :) so I found a baby blue tongue inside jimmia tank, they were just staring at each other, nothing seemed bother them, they didn’t even hiss or beard at each other :) now I’ve never owned a blue tongue lol, any precautions I should be aware of ? I’ve taken him out and put him in his own tank :) so what should I feed him ? what type of lights he need ? :)
98861-8918828792.jpg
98861-9666753443.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The bluetongue you have is a juvenile , maybe 6 months old judging from it's size. And I believe he's an eastern bluetongue.

Probably best to house it in a separate enclosure if you decide to keep it.

My eastern bluetongues have always got on very well with my bearded dragons, but they are not housed in the same tank, what I used to do when I had adult bearded dragons is I'd let one of each species out for fun-floor time at the same time , and always under strict supervision. I never saw any interspecies aggression , not to say this what always will happen (depends a lot on the personality of each lizard).

I know keepers who have large outdoor pits who keep several BTS and several bearded dragons together who claim they cohabit peacefully and even feed together.

Very similar UV as CBDs, temperatures I run for my skinks are about 35 degC basking spot for (eastern water skink, eastern bluetongue skinks). They like to drink, very thrirsty (so a shallow water dish that has rough sides to make it easy for the skink to climb out)
Bluetongues like a fibrous bedding ( I use medium grade Kritters Krumble mixed with leaf litter and about 3 inches deep )

Feeding your juvenile, will be fine with live insects that are easy to catch .
Salad is appreciated too.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thank you very much kingofnobbys :) how can I tell the sex of them? please and are they like beardies - poop and urate together?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JIMMIA":84sn9ued said:
thank you very much kingofnobbys :) how can I tell the sex of them? please and are they like beardies - poop and urate together?

Plenty of info here :
http://bluetongueskinks.net/care.htm
https://www.bluetongueskinks.org/forum/app.php/page/food-chart

I recommend investing in a copy of these very fine books https://www.bookdepository.com/Australian-Skinks-Captivity-Danny-Brown/9780987244758
https://www.bookdepository.com/Australian-Dragons-Captivity-Danny-Brown/9780987244727?ref=grid-view&qid=1555307584899&sr=1-2

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Crazy good luck you have! First Jimmia and now a blue tongue baby? To contrast, this weekend I got jolted awake by my wife who was yelling for me to come quick because a stupid Canada goose was trying to aggressively peck its way through a glass door off of our short 2nd story balcony (for god knows what reason). It & its mate had already soiled the landing heavily with their &$*@#& droppings, and they left a bit more for good measure as I drove them off with a broom :angry5:. I suppose I should be grateful that we don't have cassowaries here in the US! :lol:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
link to his other thread.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=248891

For those in USA, Canada, EU etc, bluetongue skinks are very commonly encountered in suburban gardens and living in sheds, under homes, in drains (that drain to the street) even in the big cities f Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Darwin, Adelaide, Perth, Canberra and Hobart.
One of the commonest skinks you'll encounter and often even wild bluetongues are quite cheaky and game , coming inside homes even (as my mom discovered when her resident bluetongue discovered her dog's food and water dishes (which were kept inside in her back verandah). One day she went to strip down the bedding in spare bed in the verandah) and discovered the bluetongue curled up under a pillow.

Told be she picked it up (not any resistance or hissing or trying to bite her) and deposited it outside the back door.
Became a regular visiter until she started taking the dog dish (the food went in) away after her dog had her fill.

We have a wild female eastern bluetongue living under the house who gets leftovers from my two pet eastern bluetongues and the beardies. It waits for the water skinks to take their pick then moves in and cleans the tub lid.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I love Oz's animal diversity. In the US, we have the eastern & western fence lizards which apparently can be kept as pets, though I've never encountered either. In Florida, we have green iguanas and anoles in the wild. Iguanas are invasive and are apparently becoming a problem in the southern part of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom